Blogs > Elm City to Eagleville

A blog on UConn women's basketball.

Thursday, December 31, 2009

10 years of dominance

With the next game taking place in 2010, UConn coach Geno Auriemma took the time to reflect on arguably the most most dominant decade in the history of women's college basketball.

The decade of dominance goes deeper than the five national titles, seven Final Fours and combined 15 Big East titles.

UConn posted two undefeated seasons, a third undefeated regular season and finished the 2000s with a record of 341-28 (a winning percentage of 92.4). The Huskies also had 10 players taken in the first round of the WNBA draft in the decade while four former Huskies (Kara Wolters, Sue Bird, Swin Cash and Diana Taurasi) won Olympic gold medals and Svetlana Abrosimova captured a bronze medal in the Olympics. Auriemma also earned a gold medal as an Olympic assistant in 2000 and was appointed the U.S. coach for the 2012 Olympics.

"I have had people talk to me about it," Auriemma said. "As I think back, I can't believe it's been 10 years already since that game in Philadelphia. It's really amazing that much time has passed already and when I am forced to think about what has happened in those 10 years, I still don't believe it. I know we won five national championships and it is like those people who go fishing and say 'you should have seen the one who got away and I still think about the ones that got away.

"We went to seven Final Fours and we lost in two Final Eight games and you think 'how do we let that happen?' We lost in the national semifinals and I still look at that and say 'how did we let that happen?' It's a remarkable 10 years.

"I just did the CPTV show today and when we honored the 2000 team at the Stanford game, they were showing some highlights and I remember me saying that after the game
that I really wanted to win that one to prove to ourselves and everybody else that we weren't just one of those teams who wins a national championship and disappears
from the scene. So for us to win that was really huge. I don't know what we are trying to prove now?"

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home