Blogs > Elm City to Eagleville

A blog on UConn women's basketball.

Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Checking in on Dolson

As I mentioned on an earlier blog, I headed up to Warwick High School in New York to see UConn incoming freshman Stefanie Dolson play. I went to see Dolson, a 6-foot-5 center at Minisink Valley in Slate Hill, N.Y., play once last year but it was against an overmatched Washingtonville squad. It was hard to read too much into that game although I remember saying I was impressed with Dolson's footwork and outstanding hands.

With Warwick determined not to let Dolson catch the ball in the low blocks, Dolson was being bumped and surrounded by three players each time she worked her way into the low post. I will say that seeing her snare offensive rebounds at will that she catches the ball as well as any high school post player I've seen. Other than one reverse pivot and ensuing jumper, I didn't get to see much of the footwork that impressed me so much when I saw her play as a junior.

Even though she wasn't as assertive as she could have been, Dolson still had 23 points, 19 rebounds, two assists, two steals and three blocks in a 58-37 win over a Warwick team which had beaten Minisink Valley earlier in the season.

It was the latest impressive effort for Dolson who is averaging 23.8 points, 17.3 rebounds, 5 assists, 2 steals and 5.2 blocks per game for the 14-2 Warriors. She owns Minisink Valley career records (for boys and girls) with 1,863 points and 1,486 rebounds.

When I blogged about Stefanie after the game last season, people wanted to know how well she gets up and down the floor. Well, Minisink Valley tends to walk the ball up the court so it's hard to get to much of a handle of how she will thrive at UConn next season. Although she also wears No. 31 and asked to be given that number next season, she is not Tina Charles. But she won't be asked to be Tina Charles. From the graduation of Kara Wolters to the arrival of Charles, the Huskies rarely played with a true center. It will be interesting to see how it all plays out when Dolson, Michala Johnson and Samarie Walker arrive along with guards Bria Hartley and Lauren Engeln next season.

Assuming space permits, a story I wrote after speaking to Stefanie, will run in tomorrow's edition of the Register.

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home