Blogs > Elm City to Eagleville

A blog on UConn women's basketball.

Friday, February 05, 2010

Special visitors

There were about 200 players, coaches and parents representing several school and travel programs, including squads from Guilford and Madison, taking in Friday's practice at Gampel Pavilion.

UConn likes to let groups come up to take in practice but tend to only have a few dates to play the role of gracious hosts so it is not unusual to see more than one team taking in a practice. But the turnout on Friday was one of the largest I can remember seeing in the eight years I have covered the UConn beat.

"You make it so everybody can come to practice but you can't have them here every day so we pick a few days during the year, they watch," UConn coach Geno Auriemma said. "The coaches get a kick out of it, the kids get a kick out it and my players get a kick out of it because I have to be laid back. I almost lost it one time."

Auriemma spoke to the assembled crowd for nearly a half hour and when he was meeting with the media, the UConn players introduced themselves to the starry-eyed youngsters in the building.

"When you are playing basketball, playing games you see a big bowl (full) of people," UConn sophomore guard Caroline Doty said. "Here you buckle down, you meet people face to face and little girls looking up to you. A couple parents thanked me for being great role models and look up to me. It puts everything into perspective and how we have to be a good role model for these girls because you never know who is watching.

"I can relate to them, it takes me back when I used to watch UConn back in the day and try to get autographs from Diana or Sue."

Doty said she is feeling fine and her lack of offense in recent games is not of concern to her. As the point guard, she is content throwing the ball to the frontcourt of Tina Charles, Maya Moore and Kalana Greene.

She said she understands why Auriemma is being cautious with her, limiting her time in both practice and games. Doty played just 15 minutes against Rutgers and 18 against West Virginia because she has been bothered by some swelling in her surgically-repaired knee.

"I respect that because it is a long season and you want to make sure everything is going well but once I get in the game, I am feeling great," Doty said. "I don't feel like I am missing that much if he is holding me back, he is making the right moves obviously because Kelly (Faris) had a great second half against West Virginia. You have to (understand) what he is trying to do because in the long run, he is going to know what is best. Hopefully I will be on the court come tournament time and make plays."

UConn seniors Kaili McLaren and Jacquie Fernandes have been given hand-held cameras to shoot footage for four upcoming "day in a life" type of segments which will run on ESPNU.

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home