Blogs > Elm City to Eagleville

A blog on UConn women's basketball.

Monday, February 01, 2010

A little bit of this and some of that

Just a few things to address following Monday's practice.

First, the Feb. 13 game against St. John's is going to be all about recognizing achievements. Before the game, Tina Charles will be inducted into the Huskies of Honor. At halftime when the best student-athletes at UConn are recognized for making the dean's list, 8 of the 11 players on the women's basketball team will be among them.

Speaking of academic excellence, UConn sophomore guard Tiffany Hayes mentioned a couple weeks back that the Huskies where broken into teams for a competition seeing which one could get the best GPA. It was the team of Maya Moore, Lorin Dixon and Jacquie Fernandes which won that competition.

Charles will also be honored before Tuesday's game against West Virginia for becoming the sixth UConn player to score 2,000 points.

Staying on the subject on West Virginia, Auriemma couldn't help but laugh when I asked him to recall the state of mind of Mountaineers' coach Mike Carey after UConn went to Morgantown and won by 30. Carey could be heard screaming at his team in the locker room after the game and when he made it to the media interview area, he was still hot under the collar.

"We played really really well and I was walking towards the media (room) and I ran into him. I said 'look, I'll be right out.' He said 'don't worry about I'm done.' I said 'you're done what?' He said 'I already talked to the media, I don't have a lot to say. I already talked to my team. I'm out of here. I'm going to get a beer.' I don't think he was very happy that night."

FIT TO BE TIED
Beginning with Tuesday's game, the tie Auriemma wears during each regular-season game will be put up for auction immediately at the conclusion of each game at www.genoscancerteam.com.

"I think we made $5,000 (donating ties last year), I forget what the number is," Auriemma said. "You'd be surprised at some of the bids on it. It is a good cause, it is a lot of fun. I am not saying it is going to look as good on everybody else as it does on me."

Labels: , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home