Blogs > Elm City to Eagleville

A blog on UConn women's basketball.

Saturday, March 27, 2010

Easley looks back

Iowa State associate head coach Jack Easley still has fond memories of his one season coaching in the Big East.

After 19 seasons as an assistant to Oklahoma State, Easley took a job on Susan Yow's staff at Providence. Along the way Easley got a glimpse of the UConn juggernaut up close and personal as the Diana Taurasi-led Huskies beat the Friars 70-52.

With another chance to play against UConn, I spoke with Easley about his memories from his time at Providence.

"It was a totally different setting than I had been used to," Easley said. "I had always been kind of a Midwest person and had an opportunity to go out there and spent about 10 months and we really liked it.

"They had one of their better teams that year, that is when they had Taurasi and I think we played them about as good as anybody played them that year. The only way we did is we installed a different offense before we played them that we hadn't played all year long, we held the ball for as long as we could hold it before we shot it. We kind of shortened the game on them and allowed us to stay in the game a little bit. Probably what I remember most is we played them on campus at Providence and of course there is not very good seating in that facility but they are all UConn fans. It was pretty interesting to be able to play them in that setting."

Easley was rather glowing in his praise of UConn coach Geno Auriemma and the way the Huskies go about their business.

"I think they play the toughest schedule in the country year in and year out and when I looked at their team and looked at their team stats this year, they are known for their great defense, are very physical but they only had two kids foul out all year long," Easley said. "To me, to play that kind of schedule they play, that is absolutely amazing. They are tough, they play hard. When I was at Providence, that had to be one of his better teams that we played that year and I think this is the best team he has ever had ever. He may not say that but I have watched his team over the years and to me this is the most complete team that has ever been on the floor."

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home