Blogs > Elm City to Eagleville

A blog on UConn women's basketball.

Saturday, March 27, 2010

Geno's not going casual

As is his custom, Geno Auriemma did not choose his words closely when the opening question in his press conference on Saturday was about whether the casual fan can respect (actually think the questioner meant admire but I wasn't the person putting forth the inquiry) what UConn is accomplishing.

"Does the casual fan respect what we’re doing?" Auriemma said. "I don’t know. I really don’t. The casual fan in this country at this point in time is really insignificant to me. A lot of people have tried to do a lot to attract the casual fan. I could care less about the casual fan. I care about our fans back home. I care about the people who are going to watch the game tomorrow because they’re interested to see how we do. Those people interest me. The casual fan I could care less about because I bet you they could care less about me or my team. So I don’t worry about people that don’t worry about me. As far as women’s basketball in general, it’s like ice hockey. There are ice hockey fans. Does the casual fan enjoy ice hockey? Probably not. But ice hockey fans love ice hockey, the NHL. So we are who we are. We attract who we attract and we go with that."

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home