Blogs > Elm City to Eagleville

A blog on UConn women's basketball.

Monday, April 05, 2010

Time for a talk

Rosalyn Gold-Onwude's reputation for delivering memorable pre-game speeches appears to have preceded her as about a dozen questions pertaining to her dissertation before Tuesday night's national championship game against UConn were asked of the Stanford senior guard during her meeting with the media on Monday.

"The UConn pre-game speech is something that is formulating in my mind over the course of the season, bits and pieces of things I have liked I have seen or things of what I hoped we would be," Gold-Onwude said. "I think I have always wanted to say to my teammates on the very last game in my career playing for a national championship, things that come to me at different moments. It isn't wirtten but there are probably other lines that will pop up. it is something that is a personal thing so it comes from me but it is pretty much have been focused on what we will get done going and getting motivated. This is going to be an interesting one because my motivation is how do I keep the team excited about playing teams that we should beat and usually we are trying to get us motivated to come out at the start and not take anybody lightly. We are the underdog for this speech and I am excited for it.

"A lot of it is fire and brimstone stuff. There are a lot of things, I thought about the USA Hockey team coach (the late Herb Brooks) talking about when they played (Russia in the 1980 Olympics) and 'if you play them 10 times you lose a majority of them but you only have to be better than them one time.'"

ROOTING INTEREST
Considering that her best friend is a member of Butler's women's basketball team and her sister attended the school which has made a surprise run to the men's Division I national championship game, there's no doubt who UConn freshman Kelly Faris is rooting for tonight.

"We (Faris and Claire Freeman) text back and forth, she is having fun with it getting to go to the practices and games and everything," Faris said. "It's a small school and nobody would have thought they would have made it that far so she is definitely very happy for them."

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home