Blogs > Elm City to Eagleville

A blog on UConn women's basketball.

Monday, July 12, 2010

Quotes of the week

At some point (probably when I shake off the Monday doldrums and listen to my interviews with Geno Auriemma, Australia national team coach Carrie Graf and Carol Callan of USA Basketball) I'll get around to recapping a week's worth of USA Basketball coverage. In the meantime I thought I'd provide people with the most memorable and witty quotes of the week


"I met you mom and your dad, they are so nice. What, where you adopted?"
U.S. and UConn coach Geno Auriemma to Australian star Lauren Jackson before the U.S./Australia scrimmage on Sunday. Jackson responded with a playful jab to Auriemma's stomach.

"I wasn't nervous. I just felt like I took a nap. Thanks for the anesthetic, I went to sleep and when I woke up it (the surgery) was over."
Connecticut Sun coach Anete Jekabsone-Zogota on the recent surgery on her right knee.

"Yeah, blame the (lack of a warmup), that's what I am going with,"
former UConn star Sue Bird on her early exit from the 3-point shooting contest at Saturday's all-star game.

"I didn't get to watch them too much, there isn't CPTV in the South but I remembering going to the Final Four in Atlanta and watching them practice,"
UConn rising senior Maya Moore when I asked her if she idolized Diana Taurasi when she was at UConn.

"D (Diana Taurasi) said she'd give her $100 if she took a 3 so knucklehead took two of them and I yanked her,"
Auriemma on Tina Charles' two attempted and failed 3-pointers in Saturday's all-star game.

"They are taught sharing, they understand the game, they understand that sharing the ball is what makes this game so beautiful. It is just a common understanding that the whole is more important than the individual. That's as succinct as I can say what Connecticut is all about,"
DePaul head coach and U.S. national team assistant coach Doug Bruno when I asked him if players from the 2000-2002 era of UConn women's basketball and the more recent group have similar approaches to basketball.

"When I was in college, I would never have done that so I figured that now that I am out of college, I might as well be nice,"
Angel McCoughtry on what prompted her to send a thank you card to Auriemma after the national team camp in the spring.

"First when the freshmen got here before they experienced our strength and conditioning workouts, they were looking good in pick-up. It's a little tough now that they are coming from the workouts but I can see a good core of what they are. I am excited, I see the potential there,"
Moore on her impressions of the five incoming freshmen at UConn.

"We are pretty cool on and off the court. I guess we are both pretty playful so we can play together and nobody gets mad or anything,"
UConn recruiting target Betnijah Laney on her on-court chemistry with UConn commit Kaleena Mosqueda-Lewis.

"I am so happy with the decision I made and now I get to recruit people to come over with me. Just how hard I saw that everybody worked and how they were on the same page. They all wanted to same thing. They all had the same goals, they all worked hard. It wasn't like a team, it was like a family. I am huge on family and once I saw that, I said 'boom, that is where I want to be. I want to go to UConn'"
Mosqueda-Lewis, reflecting on her decision to commit to UConn in October.

"They can think that but I haven't decided to go anywhere,"
UConn recruiting target Breanna Stewart on the rumors that she'll commit to UConn once she receives a scholarship offer.

"UConn is a great program, they are undefeated two years (in a row) so I don't know who wouldn't want to go there. They are the best team in the country right now,"
one of the five members of rising high school juniors on UConn's recruiting radar I interviewed on Tuesday at the Flint Hill School (sorry, but you'll have to wait until my story on those five players runs in the paper since that quote and the person who said will be idenitified.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home