Blogs > Elm City to Eagleville

A blog on UConn women's basketball.

Thursday, November 25, 2010

Dolson looks to fight through

Stefanie Dolson never considered herself to be a "soft" player but that is exactly the word she used when I interviewed her on Wednesday for a story which will be running in tomorrow's edition of the Register.

Dolson is a pretty interesting kid. She is brutally honest especially when it comes to her own play and is extremely hard on herself. She's been up against it a bit since her second collegiate game was against Baylor and its 6-foot-8 shot-blocking phenom Brittney Griner. Her third game came against a relentless Georgia Tech team with some size up front. Still, a perfectionist like Dolson is expecting more out of herself than what she delivered in those two games.

"In high school, I was the biggest one on the floor all the time," Dolson said. "It was easy for me to get the ball, get a layup and then coming here in college it is so different. I have to expect the contact, make shots and go through the contact and be more aggressive than i was in high school. That has always been my toughest thing, I am used to fading away from the basket and fading away from fouls and contact. Basketball is a contact sport, I have to learn how to fight through that, go through people instead of letting them hit me.

"Hitting them first instead of letting them hit me which has been my biggest downfall so far is I am too soft coaches said. I didn't think of myself as a soft player until I got here and I realized how much harder you have to go. In high school I wasn't soft but I wasn't soft because of the level of talent I was playing against. Now, because everybody else is at a different level, I have to get to that different level too."

Here's video from a portion of that interview with Dolson as well as Geno Auriemma's take on the challenges post players face as freshmen

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home