Blogs > Elm City to Eagleville

A blog on UConn women's basketball.

Monday, November 29, 2010

TCU set to join Big East

Texas Christian will be joining the Big East Conference in all sports beginning in the 2012-13 season.

This should strengthen the Big East in women's basketball since TCU was ranked in both major polls last week. However, the Horns Frogs figure to drop out of the top 25 with losses to West Virginia, Iowa State and Virginia last week.

If this is the final addition to the Big East (not including Big East founding member Villanova which has been invited to join the conference for football), my assumption is that will end the practice of each conference team playing one team twice in women's basketball. After years of having a home and home series with Rutgers, UConn is in the second year of facing Notre Dame twice during the regular season.

"I had heard about the possibility of this happening a little while ago so I wasn’t that surprised. I was surprised that it happened this quickly though. From a football and basketball standpoint I think it makes great sense. I don’t know enough about the men’s side but I obviously know how good the football program is and know the women’s basketball team has consistently been a top-25 program. I think it adds a lot to our conference.

"From a women’s basketball standpoint it’s made our league, which is arguably the toughest league in the country, even tougher. We are bringing in another NCAA tournament caliber team to our conference. That’s another tough road game and I think it strengthens and expands the top of our league. Maybe, now that we are going down to Texas every other a year, a Texas kid thinks ‘hey, maybe I’d like to play in the Big East.’ The college athletics world is changing and this is another example."

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home