Blogs > Elm City to Eagleville

A blog on UConn women's basketball.

Wednesday, December 08, 2010

Moore has some work to do

When the final buzzer sounds ending tomorrow night's game against Marquette, basketball will be on the back burner for UConn senior Maya Moore and the rest of the top-ranked Huskies.

Dealing with the academic work load is never easy for any student-athlete this time of the year but Moore, one of the most decorated scholar-athletes to come through UConn, is still catching up in one of her classes because of the time she was out of school and playing for the U.S. senior national team.

"It is one of the hardest things to do because it takes time, at least for me," Moore said. "I have to put in the time, I just have to look at it and get it. I have to study it, pay attention and take notes, write papers. It takes time for me. I was in the library (Monday) for four hours trying to catch up on one of my writing courses. I have a lot of catching up. My writing course (Sport and Society) I got the most behind when I was gone. I haven’t caught up so I have this week to catch up.

"One more draft of a seven-page paper. I just turned my second draft (Monday) night, it was nine pages. I am kind of wordy. I have three three-pagers to get back and turn in all before this week. I may have to make up a couple of quizzes too - just for that one class."

The good news is that when Moore gets through this semester, it will be clear sailing as she has one class and an independent study in the spring semester.

"One class I actually have to go to and the other three credits are writing a paper," Moore said.

Of course that "one paper" is one in the range of 30 pages.

HARTLEY HEARING IT
When UConn coach Geno Auriemma looked at the final box score following Sunday's 86-32 win over Sacred Heart, it didn't take him long to zero in on the fact that freshman point guard Bria Hartley did not have an assist.

Now these things can go in cycles. A missed layup by a teammate or a sweet pass leading to a couple of free throws won't go down as assists but considering that Auriemma is always looking for the right buttons to push in an attempt to motivate his players, he didn't waste much time letting Hartley know about her lack of assists.

"I think he reminds me every time," Hartley said with a laugh. "I know I am going to improve that stat but I don’t worry about that. It is one of those things and you just work on it and make sure next game I have a few more assists."

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous UConn Steve said...

It boggles my mind how NCAA Student Athletes are able to Complete their school work On Time, with their schedules full of practices, games, and travel.

It is even more amazing how some Student Athletes excel at the highest levels simultaneously in the Classroom and on the Court/Field.

Is anyone concerned that UConn *might* be rusty against Ohio State, after 9 Days Off from the Marquette game?

9:37 AM 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home