Blogs > Elm City to Eagleville

A blog on UConn women's basketball.

Sunday, January 30, 2011

Lofty praise for Jasmine Thomas

Back in April, some of the nation's best collegiate players headed to Hartford to train with the Select Team during the U.S. national team training camp.

Of all the returning college stars and even recent college graduates, few caught the eye of U.S. national team coach Geno Auriemma more than Duke's Jasmine Thomas.

I've covered enough of Auriemma's games and practices to know when he takes a shine to a player and it didn't take me long to figure out he loved the way Jasmine Thomas played. I even mentioned that to him during interviews back in April.

With Duke and Thomas coming to Gampel Monday night for a game against UConn, I figured I would revisit the subject. It didn't take much prodding for the Hall of Fame coach to speak in glowing terms about Thomas.

"I think the physical skills that she has are unique to most guards in the country, she is lightning quick, she is an excellent ballhandler and a terrific shooter," Auriemma said. "She is a scorer and she is probably even more dangerous when she is off the ball a little bit where she can just go. She kind of reminds me of Renee (Montgomery). When Renee had the ball and was running our offense, it was one thing. But you put her off the ball and she became completely different. Jasmine Thomas has all of that. She is a little bigger than Renee, maybe even quicker than Renee - I don't know. I like how she goes about playing, her competitiveness, her drive. I enjoyed my time with her here. I think she has a great future. It is one of those positions we are going to have to identify in the next few years with USA Basketball and I think she is right there at the top of the list."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home