Blogs > Elm City to Eagleville

A blog on UConn women's basketball.

Thursday, February 17, 2011

Notre Dame's Peters returning next season

When the Connecticut Sun hierarchy met with the media before Monday's UConn/Oklahoma game, Sun coach and director of player personnel Mike Thibault highlighted the 32 players that are considered the top prospects in April's WNBA draft.

Notre Dame's Devereaux Peters was among those on the list handed out by the Sun but when I spoke with Peters on Wednesday to get some advance stuff for Saturday's showdown between UConn and Notre Dame, she said she definitely plans on returning for a fifth season of eligibility.

"I am going to come back for my last year," said Peters, who is eligible for an additional season because she played in just three games during the 2008-09 season before suffering a season-ending knee injury.

Coming into the season, Peters took a wait and see approach regarding her decision to leave with her graduating class or come back for another season.

"I think it was seeing how I am playing, seeing how I am feeling, how I was holding up but I definitely want to come back for next year now," Peters said. "I think everything happens for a reason and I love the team I am playing with. We only lose one person next year if Brittany (Mallory, who also had an injury-shortened 2008-09 season) comes back so to have the same team and have the opportunity to do it all again, I love the coaches, I love the school. If you are going to give me an extra year, I am not going to turn that down."

Peters is Notre Dame's third-leading scorer with an average of 11.6 points per game while she leads the team in rebounding and blocked shots.

UCONN TO NO. 1?
When the latest RPI numbers came out on Monday, Duke held the top spot ahead of UConn. However, with Duke's loss to Maryland it would be reasonable to assume that the Huskies would move to No. 1 in RPI with a win over Notre Dame. Bear in mind that when the NCAA selection committee meets to come up with the bracket, RPI is just one of the factors that will be examined but it certainly couldn't hurt UConn's chances of being the No. 1 overall seed if the Huskies end up with the best RPI.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Notre Dame freshman Kayla McBride will transfer to St. Joseph in the Atlantic 10.

4:30 PM 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home