Blogs > Elm City to Eagleville

A blog on UConn women's basketball.

Thursday, March 31, 2011

Minnesota coach talks about Maya - kind of

Minnesota Lynx coach Cheryl Reeve wouldn't mention Maya Moore by name in the early stages of a pre-WNBA draft conference call on Thursday, not wanting to draw any heat from WNBA officials but there was little doubt (as if there was any suspense in the first place) who the Lynx was planning to take with the first overall pick in the April 11 WNBA draft.

"I think if I were to confirm that, I'd be in big trouble," Reeve said with a laugh. "I would tell you that the assumptions being made are not off base. This franchise is extremely excited about the prospects of a very talented player out of the University of Connecticut."

As the questions persisted about Moore, Reeve didn't make further attempts to talk in general terms about "a very talented player out of the University of Connecticut."

I asked Reeve about what is most striking about Moore's game when she has seen UConn' all-time leading scorer in action.

"She is a player who is extremely passionate about playing this game," Reeve said. Her overall skill level, many people have commented on what they see in her. Obviously her ability to shoot the basketball, I think that is what people look at. I think developing a mid-range game is going to be important for her. She rebounds the ball, she runs. She is player who commits to every part of the game and I think was even honored on the defensive side of things. Just somebody who does a little bit of everything and just determined to be one of the best."

I also asked about having an articulate, engaging person like Maya to help out with the marketing side of things.

"With regard to the business side of things, I would say there has probably been a heck of a lot of excitement around here in regard to that. In this day and age of needing sponsorships, this comes at a really good time for us."

Reeve was also asked for her take on whether Maya was the best college player of all time.

"I think it's been a lot of fun to bring up discussions about where Maya fits in the history of collegiate women's basketball," Reeve said. "I think the biggest thing is there have been some great players and Maya is one of them. I am not a person who thinks she is one of the best ever. I have respect in the history of the game. I think Cheryl Miller was awfully good, I am sure Carol Blazejowski would like her name mentioned in that category. There have been some great players, I think Maya is definitely one of them. To put her at the top, I think it would be more about numbers, but I think our history it is a little bit unfair - the best ever. But it is a great debate. I certainly think one of the best ever, one of the most decorated women's college basketball players ever I think (that) is fair to say about her.

Reeve mentioned the comparisons of Maya to Moore's basketball idol Tamika Catchings especially in terms of work ethic.

"The attribute the people talk about that almost always translates to a great deal of success at our level is Maya's work ethic. When your best player is your hardest working player, great things happen to you. Tamika, with regards to the WNBA, is probably regarded as the most hardest working player in the league and that says a lot about Maya. I think certainly there are parts of her game that I think she is going to have to adjust to in our league. It is more physical to maybe what she is used to seeing and obviously the pace of the game but we are certainly excited to get her here and see what we can do with her. We are excited, she is a special, special player."

Labels:

1 Comments:

Anonymous Joe said...

The 'best ever' debates are always 'tainted' (not quite the right word) by recent memory. May people today probably would have to google Nancy Lieberman, for example, and wonder what the fuss was about at the time.

'Best ever' relative to contemporary competition would most likely be Lieberman and Cheryl Miller; 'best ever' in terms of playing on championship teams would include Holdsclaw and Diana Taurasi.

Maya hasn't finished her career yet...can we at least wait until Wednesday morning?

The odds of UConn beating Notre Dame for a fourth time are pretty slim if you ask me, especially as they are playing in Indiana. Playing against the "home team" in the Final Four is a daunting task, especially when Notre Dame clearly was savoring the prospect of a rematch. No doubt that was a big part of Coach McGraw's motivational speech.

2:09 PM 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home