Blogs > Elm City to Eagleville

A blog on UConn women's basketball.

Monday, May 23, 2011

DeShields is taking her time

Diamond DeShields is a fun-loving teen so it fits with her personality that she just laughs every time she hears a new rumor of the school she is said to have committed to.

I spoke with her after Monday's second practice session during the U.S. U-19 trials in Colorado Springs, Colo. just to get a sense of when she might be ready to make her college choice.

"Definitely after my junior year," DeShields said. "I am in no rush. I love the recruiting process. If anything, this is what I wanted. I never thought the day would come when I'd be having requests to call say a Pat Summitt or Geno Auriemma. Everything is so surreal to me and I couldn't ask for a better basketball career and it is only going to get better. I don't think I'll be committing any time soon, I am going to wait it out because I don't want to be one of those people who regret their decision."

That doesn't stop people from spreading rumors about DeShields' college of choice.

"I get a lot of humor out of it just because it is amazing what people will say just to be able to say they were the first to say it," DeShields said. "People have told me I have committed to Baylor, people have told me I committed to Connecticut, people have told me I have verballed to Tennessee. I can't get mad at it because people are going to say what they want. If somebody tells you and you haven't heard the word come out of my mouth, why would you believe it. People want to go on the record as saying 'they found out first.'"

This much is true, there isn't a program in the country who wouldn't love to get a commitment from the 16-year-old sophomore at Norcross (Ga.) High. The 6-foot-1 DeShields has led Norcross to Georgia 5A titles during her freshman and sophomore seasons. She was the youngest player on the 2010 U.S. Under-18 national team and was the team's third-leading scorer.

Coaches and players alike have noticed a new, improved of DeShields who is not only a better player than she was a year ago but a more mature individual.

"Last year I used to hang my head, I used to let things that people say affect me, I used to be really emotional about criticism and I wasn't able to take criticism," DeShields said. "After being with players like Chiney Ogwumike, Bria Hartley, Stefanie Dolson and all of them, I definitely learned how to be more of a leader and everything people are saying is just to make me better."

Don't mistake maturity for a lack of exuberance, however. I could not end my interview with Diamond without asking her about her visit to UConn in October when she shocked everybody - especially UConn's coaching staff and compliance officers - when she jumped onto the court to take part in the First Night festivities.

"You can ask my high school teammates, my AAU teammates that I love to dance," DeShields said with a laugh. "This guy on the court said 'who can Dougie the best and I'll give you some free Usher tickets.' I love Usher so let me go out and try to win these tickets. Me and Kaleena (Mosqueda-Lewis) were going to go to the Usher concert if I won the tickets. I went out there and I lost. I just love to dance. If a song is going, I'll be in the grocery store dancing, I will be in the school hallway dancing, before the game and even during the games sometimes I'll be dancing. I just love to have fun.

"I just think that every visit I take is an opportunity to get to know me and for me to get to know the coaches. Talking over the phone, it only (allows) you to now somebody to a certain point. I guess their reaction to that is 'this girl like to have fun. She is outgoing, she is energetic.' They kind of got to know a different side to me and I got to know a different side of them."

DeShields is trying to make the best of yet another trip to the U.S. Olympic Training Center, which has helped in the development of some of the country's best athletes.

"Just being in this facility, not just great basketball players but great athletes," DeShields said. "This is where some of the greatest athletes in the world come to prepare for the Olympic games. That is a dream come true. I used to remember sitting at home wishing that some day I could be a part of USA anything - track, softball or something. Now to be a part of USA Basketball is a dream come true. My dream doesn't stop here, I want to be the best. This is where all the best play. One day I want people to come into this gym and say 'man, Diamond DeShields played here.' I want to be a legend just like all the other players."

The trials will wrap up on Wednesday with 16 finalists being named to the U-19 team. That list will eventually be cut to the final 12. If DeShields makes the cut, it would be an emotional moment for her.

"I honestly think I would cry because I know how hard I worked especially coming from last year," DeShields said. "Even all the awards and all the accolades, it is all happening to me so fast so if this happens, it will be another accolade. I have progressed so fast. I couldn't do it without God, I couldn't do it without my mom, I couldn't do it without my teammates around me, all the support I have with my coaches, everybody back home."

UPDATE ON MALINA HOWARD
It has been reported that Twinsburg (Ohio) High forward/center Malina Howard was no longer being recruited by UConn. Since she is also at the trials, I thought it would be worth my while to get the info straight from her.

When I asked her if UConn is still recruiting her, she said "I don't believe so."

As for the recruiting process for one of the top players in the high school Class of 2012, a commitment figures to be coming sooner rather than later.

"Hopefully (she'll commit) before my senior year starts so I don't have to worry about it too much during the season," Howard said. "I think I have been going through a lot and I know what I want to get accomplished in college and where I might fit in the best."

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am not sure what was gained by asking the Howard kid this when she is focusing on making the USA U19 team. Obviously you already reported this as something you knew. This act was unkind, thoughtless and poorly timed. What was the point, other than to disrupt the players focus. You should be ashamed!

10:06 PM 
Blogger Jim Fuller said...

I asked Malina Howard the same questions I asked Diamond DeShields and the same questions I asked Breanna Stewart, Morgan Tuck and other players a year ago and that is to get an update on where they are in the recruiting process. Obviously I am going to ask them about their interest in UConn since I cover UConn. I have no idea what your issue is.

11:59 PM 
Anonymous UConn Husky Fan (UHF) said...

That was bizarre.

10:21 AM 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home