Blogs > Elm City to Eagleville

A blog on UConn women's basketball.

Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Home, sweet home

Monday was either the seventh or eighth time I attended the first day of Connecticut Sun practice and have written stories on countless newcomers from various parts of the country as well as from France and Australia.

However, speaking to former Boston College star Stefanie Murphy was a little different. It was the first time I spoke to a Connecticut Sun hopeful from one of my hometowns.

Murphy grew up in Londonderry, N.H., a town I lived in from ages 2-8. For the record, I should state that my family moved from Londonderry to Hudson 16 years before Murphy was born and I barely recognize the town on the rare occasions I return to New Hampshire. Still, I couldn't resist starting off my interview with Murphy by letting her know off my connection to Londonderry.

It was obvious that Murphy still has strong ties to the southern New Hampshire town which also happens to be the hometown of San Francisco Giants closer Brian Wilson.

"It is definitely something new; not a lot of people come out of New Hampshire and succeed in college," Murphy said. "Not a lot of people succeed in college, make it here and have this opportunity. There are a lot of people proud of me, I have so many people on my side."

Murphy needed that support last month when she was not among the 36 players taken in the WNBA draft despite being a productive player at Boston College and finishing her college career with 1,722 points, 937 rebounds, 202 assists, 107 steals and 102 blocked shots.

"I was watching it. I was sitting there for 2 1/2 hours waiting for my name to come up," Murphy said. "I was a little taken aback. I had to suck it up. I had class (in advanced advertising) that night so I went to class and I got two calls from the agency that represents me. They were like ‘call me ASAP.’ I said OK and left class right away. It was a very emotional day going from being so sad and upset and then extremely excited that as a free agent I had an opportunity to play so close to home.

"I was kind of down in the middle of (the draft) because I kind of thought there was a chance I wasn’t going to get drafted. You want to say it is OK if you don’t get drafted but at the end of the day, when the draft is over and you didn’t get drafted it doesn’t feel OK. I’ve had a lot of emotional roller coasters and that was probably the biggest day. At the end of the day I was so happy. I wasn’t grumpy any more, they could talk to me and they were excited for me. It was a hard day but it was great at the end."

While undrafted rookie free agents face long odds to make the opening day WNBA roster, Murphy could be walking into a good situation. Connecticut Sun coach Mike Thibault told the media on Monday that he didn't think Sandrine Gruda would be playing for the team this season. While Connecticut does have reigning WNBA Rookie of the Year in Tina Charles and veteran post players Asjha Jones and DeMya Walker, there could be a spot for another post player especially if the team decides to keep second-year player Kelsey Griffin playing at small forward. If that is the case, her competition for a spot would be a pair of 6 foot rookies (Rachele Fitz and Adrienne Johnson).

"I do think there are a good number of posts and there is a good amount of talent, it is going to challenge me every day to get better," Murphy said. "I think that is what I need whether it is here or anywhere else. It is a great opportunity right now, I am trying to soak it in and try to see if I could keep up with them."

Murphy not only survived her first day at training camp, she prospered. When the team held a scrimmage Monday night, Murphy led the team with 13 points.

The team also held a practice earlier in the day. While understandably nervous, Murphy more than held her own.

"We figured that basketball is still basketball," Murphy said. "You still do layup lines, you still do passing, dribbling drills. You still warm up the same way and it is just the different people you get to play with. I was glad I had the opportunity to play with such big-name people and great people.

"It was kind of like being in the underdog situation because I wasn’t drafted and I am sure not many people know what somebody from Boston College, especially from New Hampshire I feel like I am the only person people have met ever from New Hampshire. It is just a great feeling, it is what athletes do and to be able to do this again is great."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home