Blogs > Elm City to Eagleville

A blog on UConn women's basketball.

Saturday, January 14, 2012

Unselfishness part of Stewart's makeup

Considering that the tallest player on the opposing team was a 5-foot-10 freshman, Breanna Stewart could probably have dropped 40 or 50 points in Friday night's game in Springfield, Mass.

However, in the early going the UConn signee and top-rated high school senior in the country, spent the early stages of Cicero-North Syracuse's game against West Springfield looking to get her teammates open looks.

"I think I am a very unselfish player, and I like to get it to my teammates as much as possible," Stewart said after scoring 22 points and adding 18 rebounds in a 60-20 win. "I want them to have a great game. It is just how I play. I want to get them the ball and get them involved. You are playing on a five-person team. Why not try to get them opportunities to score, as well. "

She also brought the ball up the floor on a regular basis not bad for somebody projected to be a power forward at the next level.

"I used to dribble around the block. I can’t do that as much now because it is snowing, of course, and I’m a little busy. But I try to dribble around my block doing different things. It just has progressed over the years. It started in sixth or seventh grade and it has always worked out."

For those who couldn't get to the game and want to see it again, the game will air on CPTV Sports on Thursday before the Cincinnati game.

As for Stewart, she will be at today's Villanova game with the entire Cicero-North Syracuse team and will also be in attendance on Jan. 25 at Syracuse.

Staying on the subject of recruits take in UConn games, I spoke to Bolingbrook (Ill.) High coach Tony Smith last night and he said he thought UConn signee Morgan Tuck would be at the DePaul since Bolingbrook isn't playing that day. He told me that Tuck's season averages are 30 points, 10 rebounds, 2 assists and 3 steals,

Also in Springfield was Christ the King and I never pass up the chance to talk to the Royals' coach Bob Mackey.

Much of the interview session with Mackey was spent talking about his gifted sophomore Sierra Calhoun, who is attracting interest from UConn as well as "everybody and their brother. The line starts around the block. I know what block you guys all want it to start, and I am not going there.

"She is really coming into her own. She had a couple really good games out in Phoenix where she stepped up really big. I think she is really starting to be a really good team player. She had seven assists the other night. Tonight she had two. It is starting to come. It is really coming along really well. What a great athlete. What a great kid."

Mackey put Calhoun in select company when asked about where she ranks among the sophomore stars at Christ the King.

"She is comparable to a Chamique Holdsclaw, a Sue Bird, a Tina Charles, a Bria Smith. She is in that realm. As sophomores they were all a cut above most kids."

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home