Blogs > Elm City to Eagleville

A blog on UConn women's basketball.

Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Catching up with Kalana Greene

Among the sizable UConn cheering contingent at Tuesday's Elite Eight game against Kentucky was Kalana Greene, a member of two national championship teams for the Huskies.

Once all the coaches and players departed, I was able to talk to Greene about  few different topics.

I asked her opinion on this UConn team reaching the Final Four without a dominant player like Maya Moore, Tina Charles, Diana Taurasi etc. etc. etc as well as what she thought about the performance of her former teammate Tiffany Hayes.

"It's impressive because if you would have spoke to the coaches two months ago they would have told you we weren't making the NCAA tournament," Greene said. "For them to make the Final Four going through what they are going through this year with a lot of things being questioned this year, without Maya Moore, it is absolutely amazing. I think a lot of people had a lot of doubts that we weren't going to make it back. For us to do it in this fashion is amazing.

"I think everybody has watched what Tiffany is capable of and  everybody would like to see if more but when it counts to go to the Final Four, those are the games that matter the most. I think it is great for her because I think she is a player who plays off confidence and to have this kind of game going into another big game definitely we need two more games like that."

Then I turned the focus to her career. She recently returned to the U.S. after playing in Israel for Raanana Hertzeliya where she averaged 7 points and 3.1 rebounds in eight games.

"It was pretty good," Greene said. "It is a beautiful country but I am happy to be home. When I was here, I ws trying to get out of here as fast as I could but now I am back and it is always good to be back in America."

Finallly I asked for her take on the player movement in the WNBA and the fact that her team, the Connecticut Sun, has not made any major moves. The Sun did sign Sidney Spencer, Mistie (Bass) Mims and Dawn Evans but plan on moving forward led by pretty much the same nucleus it had last season.

"When you look at all the transactions made either with free agency or with trades I think we are one team that didn't make a lot of major changes," Greene said. A lot of people changed things, in my opinion, that didn't need to change but by the same token I am not a coach and I am not a GM. I think we have a core group. We may not have the biggest names but we have faces on the team wit Tina and Asjha and I think we have a good supporting cast that they didn't mess with in the offseason which is great keep developing players, forming relationships and chemistry which I think is key which they understand. We should be a pretty good team this year."

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home