Blogs > Elm City to Eagleville

A blog on UConn women's basketball.

Friday, March 29, 2013

Father of latest UConn commit gives his blessin

Matt Williams, a former basketball player at Nevada-Reno, admitted that he was perhaps the last obstacle before his daughter Gabby could commit to UConn.

Williams thought that locations like Stanford or Arizona State would be ideal for her considering the proximity. But with Gabby's heart set on going to UConn after she made an unofficial to the campus earlier this week, she was able to get the blessing from her father and committed to the Huskies on Friday.

"I am extremely surprised but after meeting with Geno and his staff, there are no regrets," Williams said. "There are regrets on my end as a father but like my daughter reminded me, it is not about me because I wanted her closer to home. Between Stanford and Arizona State that is where I thought we were leaning and maybe I was pushing her a little bit.

"She said 'I want to be the best and be with the best, I want to win national championships and I felt that this staff can get me some national championships.'

"This is a young lady that could have dragged this process on. I think she is really excited. I think she was worried about what my thoughts would be and I told her I didn't want her to commit right after the visit because everybody is always in their honeymoon stage. She is ready to get (her torn ACL) rehabilitated and try to be one of the best players and athletes she can be."

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home