Blogs > Elm City to Eagleville

A blog on UConn women's basketball.

Saturday, April 06, 2013

Dolson, Mosqueda-Lewis living up to legends who preceded them

There were more than a few eyebrows raised when it was revealed that Stefanie Dolson was asking for and was granted the OK to wear the same No. 31 jersey at UConn that Tina Charles wore with such distinction. The next year Kaleena Mosqueda-Lewis slipped on the iconic No. 23 which Maya Moore had en route to setting the program record for career points.

On Saturday it came full circle as Dolson and Mosqueda-Lewis joined Charles and Moore as the select number of Huskies to earn WBCA All-American status.


"I knew putting on her jersey and her number, I wasn't wearing it to live up to her," Dolson said. "I was wearing it because it was the number I had all of my life. I just had to fill 31 with my own shoes and make my stamp on that number."

Mosqueda-Lewis had a similar take on the famous jersey number she adorns for the Huskies.




"(Great) people have worn the jerseys before us and we definitely look up to them but everytime we go out there we definitely want to make sure we are representing the name on the front of our jersey, we want to represent the people but more importantly represent UConn," Mosqueda-Lewis.

Now Dolson and Mosqueda-Lewis are eligible to have their jerseys placed into the Huskies of Honor. Dolson will join teammate and classmate Bria Hartley by earning that honor next season while Mosqueda-Lewis likely won't have her jersey induction ceremony until late in her senior season.

"The fact that it is the same as Tina is kind of weird because we are two entirely different players," Dolson said. "We both wear No. 31 but she is a completely different center than I am. We are good at different things, bad at different things. I definitely look up to her as somebody who came through Connecticut."


Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home