Blogs > Elm City to Eagleville

A blog on UConn women's basketball.

Friday, November 01, 2013

Chong excited to make her debut for UConn


Saniya Chong has been waiting for this moment pretty much from the time that she became the latest high-scoring guard out of the state of New York to commit to UConn.

The only scholarship freshman on the 2013-14 UConn squad will get to make  her debut tonight when the Huskies host Gannon, which advanced to the 2013 Division II Elite Eight, in the first of two exhibition games.
"I am so excited, very anxious right now," Chong said. "Before every game my stomach gets a little tingly but once I get on the floor it is totally what I imagined and hopefully everything goes well."

Chong was a prolific scorer at Ossining (N.Y.) High but she also piled up the assists. She has shown both the ability to score and pass the ball in the first couple weeks of official practice.

"Like most freshmen, she looks good some days and bad some days," UConn coach Geno Auriemma said. "She picks things up very quickly and what she is good at, she is really good at. When we have the ball on offense, she is pretty good.

"She is a good passer. She has made some passes that you are not sure if she sees it but when she makes the pass, that is something that you hope she sees but you aren't exactly expecting. Not only is she a good passer but she wants to be a passer and she wants to score, those are two good qualities to have."

Chong figures to come off the bench and play the role of providing minutes at either guard position. Whatever role she is asked to play Chong said she is ready for it.

"I am just playing in the role that they need me to play," Chong said. "If they need me to be a scorer then I am a scorer, if they need me to be a passer then I am a passer, if they need me on defense then I am on defense. They obviously have great players on this team so if kicking it out is what they need me to do, I will kick it out."






Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home