Blogs > Elm City to Eagleville

A blog on UConn women's basketball.

Friday, January 17, 2014

UConn's Hartley responds to challenge

Bria Hartley didn't need anybody to tell her that her first-half performance against Baylor was below her normal standard of play in big games but that didn't stop UConn coach Geno Auriemma to letting her know that he was expecting more from her.

"I think going in there I already knew I didn't really play well in the first half and I wanted to give my team more," Hartley said. "Everybody always says I play better when I am angry so I have more of an aggressive mentality. I think Coach knows ans that is why he challenged me and I think I was able to come back well."

Hartley had four points, one rebound, two assists, one steal and four turnovers in the first half. She had 13 points, two rebounds, one assist, one steal and no turnovers in the second half.

"I think it was the way my dad was with me," Hartley said. "He was always hard on me, always challenging me to do better. In one year I took AP chem (advanced placement chemistry) and I got an 85 and I thought that was good and my dad said 'an 85, seriously?' The next semester I came up and got a 90 and working with my trainer back home, he is kind of the same way. He is constantly in your face and I am being challenged all the time so when I am challenged, I try to respond."

Hartley injured her left thumb during a defensive drill late in Friday's practice and did not take part in any more of the drills until the practice-ending 5-spot.

"I don't think it should be (a big deal)." Hartley said. "I am hoping it will be better in a couple of days. I will probably have more movement in it."

TUCK WON'T PLAY AGAINST RUTGERS
Although Morgan Tuck is making progress from her latest knee injury, she will not play on Sunday against Rutgers according to Auriemma.

"She is not playing Sunday but when we get back on Monday, we will see what happens," Auriemma said. "She is day to day. (She's making) a lot of progress."

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home