Blogs > Elm City to Eagleville

A blog on UConn women's basketball.

Wednesday, February 19, 2014

UConn's Stewart about to enter rarely chartered company

This much is certain - when Breanna Stewart scores her first two points tonight she will join Svetlana Abrosimova, Maya Moore and teammates Bria Hartley and Kaleena Mosqueda-Lewis as the only UConn players to hit the 1,000-point plateau as sophomores. She will also fall eight games shy of the program record for fewest number of games needed to hit the 1,000-point mark.

After that there's still more research to be done.

You may have seen it reported that Stewart will join Abrosimova as the second-quickest Husky to 1,000 points (needing just 63 games). That is only partially accurate. I did a little checking and discovered that Rebecca Lobo also hit the mark in just 63 games. The question is whether Chris Gedney or Kerry Bascom did it in 63 games or even quicker than that.

Unfortunately, it is significantly more challenging to find box scores from the 1980-81 and 1989-90 seasons. What I have determined is that Gedney was at the 943-point mark after 58 games going into her senior season. If she matched her season scoring average of 16 points per game, she would have needed only four games to get there which would mean she needed only 62 games to reach that milestone. As for Bascom, I was able to research the fact that she had 945 points through 59 games but I am still in the process of trying to get my hands on her scoring totals from the Manhattan, Colgate, Dartmouth and Central Connecticut games during her junior season to see if she was able to get to 1,000 in 62 or 63 games. While I won't have that information tonight, I am hoping to get that information sooner rather than later.

As for some of the other UConn scoring sensations here is a list of how many games they needed to reach 1,000 points
64: Kaleena Mosqueda-Lewis
70: Shea Ralph
72: Kara Wolters
74: Bria Hartley, Nykesha Sales
75: Tina Charles
77: Diana Taurasi

LIVE BLOG RUNNING TONIGHT
There will be a live blog running during tonight's game, going live at 6:30 p.m. Most of the content will come from Twitter feeds (including mine) but I will attempt to answer any questions if there are any.


1 Comments:

Blogger Chris Gedney said...

Jim, just curious if you even found the box scores from the other seasons necessary to find out how quickly Kerry Bascom and I reached our 1000 points. I wish I still had the two large scrap books my roommate made for me with all the box scores in the, but alias they were lost in the many moves I made while serving in the Air Force for 22 years. Just thought I would reach out and see what you discovered.

Best, Chris Gedney, Class of '81

8:17 PM 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home