Blogs > Elm City to Eagleville

A blog on UConn women's basketball.

Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Fitting sendoff for UConn's two seniors

The finality of it all was a little tough for Bria Hartley to deal with so the day before her final game at Gampel Pavilion, she brushed off any inquiries about the magnitude of it all.

It wasn't until after Tuesday's win over Saint Joseph's that she attempted to put it all into the proper context.

"I think a lot of times when people ask me the question about how it was to play here I kind of deflect the question and just focus on playing basketball," Hartley said. "But now that the game is over it’s a really special moment. The four years I’ve had here have been awesome and I wouldn’t want to do it with anyone other than Stef, my teammates and the coaching staff. I think it was just an awesome experience. I’m just glad we’re able to continue."

Hartley finished with 20 points, nine coming in a span of 3:13 early in the second half while Dolson added 17 points as they finished 41-2 in regular season or postseason games at Gampel Pavilion.

“It was pretty special. Bria and I knew coming into it that we weren’t going to think about that, obviously," Dolson said. "It’s the second round of the tournament; it was more business. But at the end of the game, walking off and waving to all the fans that were here was just a special moment. It’s been an honor for me to play here for four years and looking back I wouldn’t have had it any other way. The journey I’ve had has been perfect for me."

ANOTHER HIGHLIGHT REEL PLAY FOR STEWART
With it being the home swan song for Dolson and Hartley and Kaleena Mosqueda-Lewis playing as well as she ever has at UConn, Breanna Stewart flew a little more under the radar than she normally does.

If there is such a thing as a quiet 21-point, 11-rebound, 3-steal, 5-block game, that is what Stewart managed to pull off. However, if there was one "did you see that?" moment from the 91-52 win, it was predictably provided by Stewart.

With 8:17 left in the game, freshman Saniya Chong's 3-pointer from the right corner was a little too strong. Stewart swooped in, grabbed the rebound and finished all in one motion.

"I thought that was cool," Stewart said. "I was trying to crash the boards and it is always nice when it takes a nice bounce and the timing is all right."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home