Blogs > Elm City to Eagleville

A blog on UConn women's basketball.

Monday, May 26, 2014

Samuelson, Boykin teammates again

There was a certain amount of excitement when De'Janae Boykin and Katie Lou Samuelson discussed their future together as UConn commits. Before they arrive at UConn they will be accustomed to playing together.

After being teammates on the U-16 team last summer, they were among the 12 players selected to play on the U.S. team playing in the FIBA U17 World Championships.

"We got to play together last summer, this summer and we get to go to school together and it is fun," Samuelson said.

Boykin admitted that she didn't play as well as she would have liked to during the trials but was relieved when she heard that she was named to the team.

"It is great that everybody sees your hard work even if you do have bad games or bad days so they can still that you have potential," Boykin said. 

Three UConn recruiting targets were also named to the team - Asia Durr, Arike Ogunbowale and Lauren Cox.

"I was shocked to hear my name," Durr said. I didn't think I played that well. I played well some games but others I didn't think I played my best. Tears came to my eyes as soon as I heard my name called."

Samuelson sprained her left ankle in a Sunday night scrimmage and she was wearing a protective boot on Monday. She was supposed to join Boykin, fellow UConn commit Napheesa Collier and Ogunbowale on a team competing in the upcoming 3x3 U18 national tournament but had to pull out of that.

"I'm pretty bummed but it is more important to get this fixed right now than try to force it and play," Samuelson.

Here's Samuelson's description on how the injury happened.

"I stepped on my teammate's foot as I was closing out for the ball and I went down," Samuelson said. (She's had) little tweaks but this is the first time I ever sprained it. It hurt when it first happened. I didn't think it was bad but I tried to get up and I couldn't walk, it is pretty swollen. I am going to listen to what they said, just go home and see how it is. I think I am going to get an MRI and (hope) everything turns out well. Hopefully I will be able to come back in a couple of weeks and start training camp (which runs from June 12-15)."


Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home