Blogs > Elm City to Eagleville

A blog on UConn women's basketball.

Sunday, October 19, 2014

Crystal Dangerfield commits to UConn

UConn received its first commitment from the Class of 2016 when guard Crystal Dangerfield committed while on a visit this weekend including being in attendance at First Night festivities on Friday.

She announced her decision on her Twitter account



Blessed to be able to say that I committed to UConn this weekend #BleedBlue ❗️❄️


When I went out to Colorado Springs for the U-17 and U-18 national team trials I spoke the Dangerfield, a 5-foot-5 guard from Murfreesboro, Tennessee who is ironically most often compared to current UConn point guard Moriah Jefferson, who she could ultimately end up replacing at UConn.

She admitted that Jefferson is her favorite women's player. 

"Her tenacity is something I look at. I just emulate her."

She still recalls a conversation she had with Geno Auriemma.

"My high school coach is telling me that they want me to call and I talked to Geno, we had a conversation. Three minutes into it my hands were sweating, I was star struck. It was a fun sit down, it was my first time sitting down to talk to a college coach so that was fun."

Dangerfield, considered to be one of the top players in the Class of 2016, helped her Blackman team finish No. 1 in the USA Today final national poll. Blackman, also featuring Tennessee commit MeMe Jackson and Middle Tennessee State pledge Alex Johnson, figures to be one of the nation's top teams again this season.

Dangerfield was a member of the 2013 U-16 national team where she was a teammate of UConn Class of 2015 commits De'Janae Boykin (who was also at First Night) and Katie Lou Samuelson. Dangerfield started two of the five games in the FIBA Americas U16 Championships, averaging 7 points per game to go with nine assists and seven steals. She also was 7 of 12 from 3-point range in the tournament.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home