Blogs > Elm City to Eagleville

A blog on UConn women's basketball.

Sunday, November 30, 2014

Green Bay final challenge for UConn at Gulf Coast Showcase

No disrespect to the three other teams on the opposite side of the bracket but UConn coach Geno Auriemma fully expected to see Green Bay be the opponent in tonight's Gulf Coast Showcase title game.

Auriemma still has memories or maybe nightmares of meeting the extremely well coached Phoenix in the second round of the 2007 NCAA tournament. Even with the game being in Hartford, Auriemma's Huskies were trailing 40-38 at halftime before emerging with a 94-70 victory.

After wins over Georgia Tech and Arizona State, head coach Kevin Borseth brings his Green Bay team in to face the Huskies.

"Wisconsin Green Bay is a midwest version of Villanova," Auriemma said after UConn secured a spot in the final with a win over Vanderbilt. "I would have loved to have seen them play each other out here. We have been playing Villanova for 30 years and they are one of the most unique teams in the country to play. Green Bay has a lot of those qualities. They won the two games they won here for a reason. They are really good, they beat an ACC team and bear a Pac-12 team. I think a lot of people might be surprised but nobody on our staff is surprised that they won. I expected them to win because I just know how good they are. I know how well coached they are and I know how difficult it is to play against them because it is a unique style that not very many people have so it is not something you can see, that you can prepare for a lot.

"I am excited about it because I want my players to be challenged and they are going to be challenged. I am looking forward to it. I don't know if I will be watching the game that much, I will be watching Kevin more than I will be watching the game, he is pretty entertaining over there so that is another characteristic they have in common with Villanova. both of those guys (Borseth and Villanova coach Harry Perretta) are in the Hall of Fame for wins and other stuff."

Villanova and College of Charleston meet in the seventh-place game at noon, Minnesota and Georgia Tech face off at 2:30, the third-place game will feature Vanderbilt and Arizona State at 6 p.m. followed by the championship game at 8:30 p.m.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home