Blogs > Elm City to Eagleville

A blog on UConn women's basketball.

Thursday, November 06, 2014

UConn's Mosqueda-Lewis adding to her game

Even before she arrived at UConn Kaleena Mosqueda-Lewis' long-range shooting ability was her calling card following a remarkable career at California powerhouse Mater Dei High School. However, not everybody may know that Mosqueda-Lewis was not only Mater Dei's all-time leader in points scored and 3-pointers but also in rebounding.

Taking that into consideration, it shouldn't be that much of a surprise to hear that her UConn coaches are asking her to help out inside more than in past years. It has even gotten to the point that when the team breaks off to work with position coaches during practice that Mosqueda-Lewis now goes to work with post coaches Chris Dailey and Marisa Moseley.

"I have kind of tried to embrace being a post player," Mosqueda-Lewis said. "It (the post coaches) are the only people I have gone down and worked with this summer since practice has started. I am often reminded that I am not a post player and I am not over 6 foot so I have been trying to work on post defense, making post moves on people who are taller than me.

"I have been trying to tell CD and the other coaches that there is a middle player and it is called a forward so we need forwards, nobody else really seems to agree with me so I am working with the post (coaches) and I don't go to the guard side unless we are together. I used to (work with the guards) but I got cut off."

With Kiah Stokes, Breanna Stewart and Morgan Tuck the only available UConn players taller than 6-feet taller, Mosqueda-Lewis and freshman Gabby Williams have been working with the post players to give the Huskies some additional options.

"I definitely look at it as an opportunity to get better," Mosqueda-Lewis said. "I also am hoping that I don't forget my guard position."

HUSKY HEROES CEREAL NOW ON SALE
For those fans who can't get enough reminders of the incredible success the UConn basketball teams enjoyed a season ago, now you can stare at the image of either women's head coach Geno Auriemma or men's coach Kevin Ollie on the Husky HerOes cereal box.

Yes, that's right, there is now a cereal out there in honor of the UConn basketball dominance. PLB Sports announced that the honey nut toasted oats cereal is now available online at www.huskyheroescereal.com

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home