Blogs > Elm City to Eagleville

A blog on UConn women's basketball.

Sunday, January 11, 2015

Special homecoming for UConn's Jefferson

Moriah Jefferson's return to the Dallas area did not start according to plan as she missed badly on a drive to the basket. For a player who shot more than 75 percent in her last five games, one had to wonder if the desire to impress the 100 or so family members and friends in attendance at Moody Coliseum was going to get the best of her.

Jefferson, the first Texas native to suit up for the Huskies, would not be the first talented Husky to become overwhelmed by the pressure of performing in her return home. Undeterred, Jefferson got back to what she does best - set up her teammates.

Jefferson had assists on five of UConn's first seven baskets and finished with 10 assists and no turnovers. As much as she enjoyed averaging 19.2 points over her last five games, this was more of the way she wanted to play.

"I didn't know I had that many assists until I came out and Stewie (Breanna Stewart) was talking to me about it," Jefferson said. "Anytime I play in front of friends and family I want to play well.

"When I came out today I wanted to make sure I got my teammates the ball. Stewie was on fire, Gabby (Williams) was snatching rebounds so I could get the ball to other people."

Jefferson finished with 11 points for her first career double-double.

"She is playing the point guard position probably as best as it can be played," Stewart said. "She is looking for her teammates but at the same time being aggressive for herself. I was telling her she was one point and two assists away from a double-double so I was happy she got it and she was glad she got it as well."

Jefferson didn't have a complete count of the number of people in attendance to see her but thought it might have broken triple digits.

"At least 100, there were teams that I played well and they were up (in the second level of the arena) anywhere so they couldn't come down so I got all the text messages so I knew they were there."

A couple of records were set in the game. Mosqueda-Lewis hit a pair of 3-pointers to finally set the UConn career mark for 3-pointers. Diana Taurasi had 318 in her brilliant career while Mosqueda-Lewis now has 320. There will be more on that in the coming days.

SMU set a program low by scoring 28 points, breaking a mark that has stood since 1978.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home