Blogs > Elm City to Eagleville

A blog on UConn women's basketball.

Monday, February 02, 2015

UConn's Stokes chasing some legends

I may have mentioned Kiah Stokes propensity for blocking shots once or twice on this blog. OK, maybe a few more times than that but it's hard to ignore what she has been doing.

She blocked eight shots (actually seemed to have a few more than that) against Temple on Sunday and it was the fifth time in the last eight games she had at least seven blocks. As a point of reference, Rebecca Lobo and Kara Wolters rank No. 1 and 2 on the Huskies career blocked shot list and neither of them have more than three seven-block games in a season.

Some further number crunching revealed that Stokes is not only on pace to shatter Lobo's single-season mark for blocked shots. Lobo set the record with 131 blocks during the 1993-94 season. With 101 blocks in 21 games, Stokes could not only set a new standard at UConn but has a chance to finish with one of the highest single-season totals in NCAA Division I women's basketball history. If Stokes continues at her current pace and if the Huskies reach the American Athletic Conference and NCAA Division I title games, she would finish with 186 blocks the fourth-highest total in NCAA Division I history. Former Baylor star Brittney Griner holds the top two marks of 223 and 206 and Louella Tomlison blocked 195 shots during the 2009-10 season (Griner set the single-season mark during that year).

"I am really proud that I can block shots, it is something I will always be able to do and I know I can bring to our defense," Stokes said.

"I have a job and there is no other option, I know I can come in and I can make an impact defensively and it is something I know I have to do, rebound and block shots. I know I can block shots and I can bother shots and that is one thing I know I can do when I come into games."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home