Blogs > Elm City to Eagleville

A blog on UConn women's basketball.

Saturday, October 17, 2015

UConn's Stewart found her comfort level with U.S. squad

Even as accomplished player as Breanna Stewart can have times when she questions if she is good enough.

Last year's experience at the FIBA World Championship for Women was such a time.

Being on a team with players like Maya Moore, Sue Bird, Diana Taurasi, Seimone Augustus and Angel McCoughtry was certainly an eye-opening experience. Stewart didn't see much playing time (36 minutes in six games) and wasn't particularly productive (1.8 points and 1.8 rebounds per game). Given another chance to test herself in practice against some of the game's most legendary figures, Stewart noticed a difference in her own mindset during the recently completed training camp and European tour.

"I could tell that the comfort level that I had with those players and a lot of them were the same players," Stewart said. "Playing with physical, top-level players, that was what I needed and that helped my confidence for me to see that 'I could play at that level.' I knew I could but the fact that I was actually producing was great. I wasn't over thinking things and playing the basketball that I can play."

Stewart averaged 19.5 minutes in the four exhibition games, scoring in double figures in the last two games. She ended up averaging 7.8 points and 4.5 rebounds per game.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home