Blogs > Elm City to Eagleville

A blog on UConn women's basketball.

Friday, January 22, 2016

UConn target Lexi Gordon moving quickly in recruiting process

In recent years my trip to Texas to cover the UConn women's basketball team often times would include a stop at a local high school to see a recruiting target play.

It was there where I interviewed Moriah Jefferson for the first time and last year I checked out the game between Lauren Cox and Natalie Chou, now both headed to Baylor.

Well, tonight I made it to Southlake Carroll High School to see Lexi Gordon in action. There will be much more on my interview with the LD Bell High School wing in the coming days, but with plenty of action on social media about Gordon's decision to narrow her list of schools to Baylor, Texas, Texas Christian (where both of her parents played basketball) and UConn I figured I would provide some sort of an update from my nearly nine-minute interview with the extremely personable Gordon.

"I actually thought I was going to go longer into the recruiting process but I had a really good feeling about (her final four) and I wanted to let them know," Gordon said. "I called all the other coaches who were recruiting me and that was a big step. People's feelings mean a lot to me so it was hard to call coaches but all of them we really nice wishing me best and I wished them the best as well."

There are recruits who love the idea of being recruited by UConn more than seriously considering going there. I would put Cox, A'ja Wilson and Erica McCall in that category. Gordon said that is not the case and she will seriously consider leaving Texas and head to UConn if she deems that to be the best fit for her. This process will not be a drawn out one as Gordon said she'd like to make the decision after her high school season is over and before the AAU season gets rolling.

Gordon visited UConn over the weekend and sat behind the bench in Saturday's win over Temple. She returned home with a scholarship offer and here's some of what she had to say about that.

"It was a blessing. I was really proud and excited to get an offer from Connecticut just how successful of a program it is," Gordon said. "When it did happy, I was very excited.

"It was incredible and it opened my eyes. When you go there, you know how successful they are and you would think that they are just a bunch of robots and they would be kind of stuck up but they were really nice people, they are all genuine and all family orientated. It was a really fun experience that my family really enjoyed as well.

"They played a really good game, Lou (Katie Lou Samuelson) and Stewie (Breanna Stewart) played incredible that day and you could tell that the kids love each other because even on the bench with their teammates, I know they were having fun. It was just a really good environment to be in."

Gordon had 22 of her team's 27 points in a 40-27 loss to Southlake Carroll with UConn coach Geno Auriemma and associate head coach Chris Dailey in attendance.

"They told me they were coming," Gordon said. "I love both of them. They are both nice people and I enjoy being around them. Even though it might not be the best outcome in the game, it was really special to have them watching."

Auriemma and Dailey headed straight from the high school game to check out the NBA game between Oklahoma City and Dallas.

For those wondering, Gordon plans to be in attendance when UConn plays at SMU tomorrow.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home