Blogs > Elm City to Eagleville

A blog on UConn women's basketball.

Sunday, August 28, 2016

Catching up with former UConn star Morgan Tuck

The month without basketball games to play took some time for former UConn star Morgan Tuck to get used to.

Tuck, a rookie forward with the Connecticut Sun, did watch plenty of basketball during the Olympics especially when her former college teammates Breanna Stewart and Kia Nurse were suiting up for the United States and Canada respectively. She also had a chance to return to Grand Rapids, the city where she lived until she was five, as the keynote speaker for the Youth Inspires Hometown luncheon.

"I went around, spoke to the kids and a luncheon for scholarship for kids going to college," Tuck said before the Sun's win over defending WNBA champion Minnesota on Friday. "It was really cool being able to do that and do that. They really appreciate it a lot, I received a lot of love and support even though I didn't necessarily grow up there, I moved from there when I was five but all the people that where there were really excited."

Seeing Stewart help the U.S. win a gold medal and Nurse finish as the leading scorer for Canada was special for Tuck.

"When you watch the Olympics and see your country play and it was fun to think 'I know them, I have a relationship with them,'" Tuck said. "I think it is really awesome to see them on TV. For Stewie to go and get a gold medal, that was a dream that she had and it was cool that is happened."

Another thing that recently happened was Tuck's older sister Taylor was named the head girls' basketball coach at Dover High school in Delaware.

"I think that is great," Tuck said. "It is going to be a big challenge for her. I think she will do well, she is 23, she is young and can connect with her players. I think it is a great opportunity for her and I think she really deserves it. I knew she wanted stay around basketball so she is going to be able to coach and go to grad school at the same time so it was good."

Speaking of challenges, Tuck will be heading to South Korea after the end of the WNBA season to play for Shinhan Bank of the WKBL.

"I'm excited," Tuck said. "I don't know a whole lot about South Korea yet, I am trying to learn more but it is going to be a great experience. I have never lived outside the country before so it will be exciting."

Tuck was the third overall pick in the WKBL, one spot ahead of former UConn teammate Kiah Stokes and two spots ahead of Sun teammate Jonquel Jones. Connecticut Sun forward Alyssa Thomas was the No. 1 overall selection.

Finally, since Tuck was a part of a talented three-player recruiting class at UConn, I asked her what advice she would give to incoming freshmen Molly Bent, Crystal Dangerfield and Kyla Irwin who recently arrived on campus.

"I would tell them trust the process, listen to what the coaches are telling you," Tuck said. "It is going to be hard and there are days when you don't want to do it but it pays off in the end. I got to go up to campus a few times when they are up there so they are great kids, they will fit in with the program really well. They seem like they work really hard and are talented of course. I think freshman year is always a struggle year but I think they will enjoy it a lot."

Labels:

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I always enjoy reading about former UCONN players and how they are doing. The article was interesting but I'd like to hear Tuck's impression of her rookie season, which seems to have been hot & cold, and not always with much playing time. Conversely, Stewie and Moriah have played a lot and have some impressive stats. I really expected Morgan to do great things based on her selection in the draft but I rarely even see her name mentioned. Does she have a future with the Sun?

7:32 PM 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home