Blogs > Elm City to Eagleville

A blog on UConn women's basketball.

Saturday, January 28, 2017

UConn's Williams finds humor even when in pain

Even as Gabby Williams covered her mouth as a wayward elbow from an opponent knocked a tooth out of place, all she could be thinking about it how her teammates were going to make her the punch line of so many jokes.

Sure enough there were more than a few shots of her teammates have a grand old time with Williams during the Tulane game and nobody was laughing harder than Williams herself.

I didn't make the trip to East Carolina and Williams wasn't available to the media after the Tulane game so the first chance I had to ask Williams about her rearrangement of her teeth and especially her reaction to it came after yesterday's practice.

"It is really hard to explain if you are not one of us," Williams said. "Why in the world would I laugh, I don't know. Even as I talk about it, I can't help but laugh. My tooth got knocked backwards, it wasn't loose, I couldn't move it and I just knew everybody was going to laugh at me. I knew I looked crazy so I couldn't help but laugh. Of course everybody's reaction made me laugh harder. The dentist was there and I went right after the game, he put a splint in it and held it in place."

I also got Williams' take on one of her 10 assists in her first collegiate triple-double coming on classmate Kia Nurse's 1,000th career point.

"It was cool because 'who else.' It was one of those moments that was really cool," Williams said.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home