Blogs > Elm City to Eagleville

A blog on UConn women's basketball.

Thursday, April 12, 2018

More UConn history at WNBA Draft

For the seventh time in WNBA history, three players from the same school were selected in the WNBA Draft and of course it was UConn accomplishing that feat for a third time.

Gabby Williams was the first former Husky off the board, going No. 4 to Chicago. Azura' Stevens was taken with the sixth overall pick by Dallas and Kia Nurse was the 10th overall pick by New York.

"I was nervous, I was anxious and I wanted the time to be here already," Williams said. "It's a scary thing, you don't know what city you are going to, you don't know what team you are going to be, you don't know who your teammates are."

UConn has had 23 of its players selected in the first round. The only programs with more total draft picks are Tennessee and Stanford.

"It says so much about the program that Coach (Geno Auriemma) and CD (Chris Dailey) have built, people want UConn players and that is because they know how to develop us," Williams said. "That is why I went to UConn so I could be developed and I could be pushed every day."

Stevens was thought to have the chance to go as high as No. 2 but is excited to land in Dallas which also selected former UConn guard Saniya Chong last season.

"A little bit of nerves, actually a lot of nerves because I didn't know where I would end up but really happy to be a part of that team," Stevens said.

"These couple of days have been amazing, to have these teammates here is really cool. It is one thing to experience this but to have them by my side with the things we have been through and to be able to play with them this year, it has been really cool to see this special day happen to them."

Nurse was available when the Connecticut Sun picked at No. 9. Sun coach and general manager Curt Miller coached both her older sister and aunt when he was a college coach and he recruited her hard when he was at Indiana but with Brown more able to play the point guard at the professional level was a deciding factor for the Sun selecting the former Maryland and Duke guard Lexie Brown.

"My emotions were that wherever I get an opportunity to play, that is where I am going to be happy," Nurse said. "This is a great fit for me and I am excited about it. I love the city and I am excited to get there."

Former UConn forward/center Natalie Butler was selected by Dallas with the 30th overall pick.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home