Blogs > Elm City to Eagleville

A blog on UConn women's basketball.

Sunday, March 29, 2009

Just checking in

Tip-off is just over two hours away and all is quiet - relatively speaking - inside Sovereign Bank Arena.

Not much exciting came out of the four press conferences other than the request that the media not address the players as "girls." Apparently "ladies" is the preferred term. I guess I'm old fashioned, but I tend to address the players by their first names.

I found it curious that when I asked for a number of WNBA teams sending representatives to the games, I was told that "I'm not sure the NCAA allows us to release that information." I figured with UConn's Renee Montgomery, Ashley Walker and Devanei Hampton of California, Briann January of Arizona State and the Texas A&M duo of Danielle Gant and Takia Starks all possibly to be off the WNBA draft board by the midway point of the second round, I assumed their would be a decent amount of WNBA coaches and/or GMs in the house.

I spoke to UConn assistant coach Shea Ralph on Saturday about her impending induction in the Connecticut Women's Basketball Hall of Fame.

"I'm thankful for it," Ralph said. "It is never something I ever looked for but it is nice to have people think that highly of you. I am always grateful and thankful but that is part of my life that is in my past. I try not to make too big of a deal out of it. I am trying to go on and make my name as a coach now."

For those into such things, look for a video of Kalana Greene coming up shortly at the http://www.nhregister.com/sports/ncaa/ site.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home