Blogs > Elm City to Eagleville

A blog on UConn women's basketball.

Saturday, April 04, 2009

What a day

My work, once this entry is completed, if done for the day and what a memorable day it was.

For me personally, it started with me taking part in the 4K Run Saturday morning. It was the hardest 2.5 miles I have ever run and choose not to divulge my time because it was not pretty but considering how much Kay Yow accomplished in her life before succumbing to cancer a couple months back, I thought the least I could do was pay my respect to Kay by lumbering 1 1/2 times around the streets near the St. Louis Arch.

John Altavilla of the Hartford Courant was kind of enough to let me use his room to take a shower before I attended the State Farm All-American team and Wade Trophy press conferences at the media hotel (I am staying elsewhere to save my company about $30 a day in hotel rates) so I wouldn't show up all in my sweaty, smelly gym clothes.

But enough about me. This was a day where UConn's season was on display with a pair of press conferences in the aptly named "Majestic" ballroom since UConn has looked majestic en route to playing in the program's 10th Final Four.

Maya Moore won both the Wade Trophy and Associated Press Player of the Year awards and handled the awards with the modesty and class she goes about everything in her life. Looking for a different take on Moore's on-court brilliance and off-court demeanor, I spoke with Ohio State's sophomore All-American center Jantel Lavender, who spent two summers as Moore's teammate on two of the USA Basketball junior national teams.

I think you would like what Lavender had to say so here goes.

"I think she is a great player, she has represented our class well. She puts in the hard work, gets things out. She has had a superb year, she has been a tremendous basketball player and a tremendous teammate. I am extremely happy for her. I am happy to be in her class and happy to be up here with her knowing that I have somebody in my class who works so hard.

"It was great playing with her because she was so driven and so passionate. She wanted to win. I think it was the best experience, we had so much fun playing together and I look forward to playing together with her this summer again if she is not playing with the older (U.S. Senior National) team.

"She is one of the most humble people. Her humbleness makes you want to give her the award even more because she accepts it so well."

Lavender got me thinking so I asked Maya what her summer plans are and they are yet to be determined.

"I have been thinking about my summer a little bit," Moore said. "Nothing is for sure but all that stuff we'll be talking about it when the time comes."

UConn's trio of Moore, Renee Montgomery (who finished second to Moore in the voting for AP Player of the Year) and Tina Charles were named to the State Farm All-American team, the 2008-09 Huskies joined the 1998-1999 Tennessee trio of Chamique Holdsclaw, Tamika Catchings and Semeka Randall) and UConn's 2001-02 threesome of Sue Bird, Swin Cash and Diana Taurasi as the only squads to have three players from the same team on the State Farm All-Americans.

Charles' selection drew the loudest cheers from the UConn players in attendance simply because she has constantly been in the crosshairs of UConn coach Geno Auriemma and because Moore and Montgomery were locks to make the team.

Finally, Auriemma earned the AP Coach of the Year award for a record sixth time.

Tomorrow, the top award is up for grabs - a spot in the national championship when UConn meets Stanford at approximately 9:30 p.m.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home