Blogs > Elm City to Eagleville

A blog on UConn women's basketball.

Monday, May 18, 2009

Big shoes to fill

Talk about your tough acts to follow, Marisa Moseley is coming in to replace UConn lifer Jamelle Elliott who spent 17 years in Storrs as a player, a graduate assistant in the business office and assistant coach. More than one time in the last few years, UConn coach Geno Auriemma said Elliott did the best coaching job on his staff.

Obviously Auriemma thought enough of the former Boston University forward to offer her a job since I am sure he did not lack in resumes to sift through.

I found it ironic that this weekend my return home from Colorado Springs took me through Minneapolis (although I was in the airport for only a couple of minutes before boarding my flight to Hartford). I also find it amusing that among the candidates I speculated would be nice fits as UConn assistants, I mentioned a Minnesota assistant who works with post players. Of course it was Minnesota Lynx assistant Jen Gillom and not Moseley. Staying on the "it's a small world" theme previously in this blog I mentioned Norfolk, Va. and Minneapolis as the most likely sites for UConn's first and second round games in the 2010 NCAA tournament. Here is how I came to that conclusion:

Since conference opponents aren't allowed to meet until the regionals, you can cross out Notre Dame, Louisville and Pittsburgh as potential sites. A subregional including UConn would either need to be hosted by a team which doesn't make the NCAA tournament or would be an eight or nine seed. That would seem to preclude Tennessee, Duke, California, Oklahoma, Florida State, Arizona State, Iowa State, Texas and Xavier since barring some severe underachieving they will be seeded too high to have UConn sent there. That leaves four candidates. I can't see UConn being shipped to either New Mexico or Seattle (where Washington would be the host). That leaves either the subregionals where Old Dominion or Minnesota are the hosts. Do you think the story line of Moseley going back to Minnesota as an assistant at UConn might get a little bit of play in Connecticut newspapers?

Of course that is a long ways away.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home