Blogs > Elm City to Eagleville

A blog on UConn women's basketball.

Tuesday, June 02, 2009

A look to the future

As promised, I will share some of the highlights of my interview with UConn recruiting target Kaleena Mosqueda-Lewis of Anaheim, Calif.

I found the most compelling part of my 6 minute, 41 second interview with Kaleena being the youthful exuberance she displayed about getting the autograph of swimmer Michael Phelps in her first day in Colorado Springs and reaction of being joined on the U.S. Under-16 national team by fellow Matei Dei High School stars Jordan Adams and Alexyz Vaioletama. But my reporting instincts push me to lead off with the info most pertinent to UConn.

She gracefully handled my inquiry of whether she was annoyed that Mike Flynn of Blue Star reported that he heard "whispers" that she committed to UConn, which much like his rumor that Stefanie Dolson was headed to Duke the day or two before she committed to UConn, was untrue.

"That is somebody who said I was going to go somewhere," Mosqueda-Lewis said. "It is not that big a deal as long as I get to set the record straight and let everybody know I haven't made a decision yet so I am not going to make a big deal over it."

As I mentioned in my blog yesterday, she probably won't a commitment until her senior year.

"I want to get a feel for all the colleges out there," Mosqueda-Lewis said. "I don't want put anybody out (of contention) because if I make a decision early, maybe my wants in a college will change by that time. If I make a commitment, I am not going to be one who wants to go back on my word so senior year is looking like the time I am going to make my decision."

Mosqueda-Lewis took advantage of Mater Dei's trip to New England to play a game in Springfield, Mass. by taking in a UConn practice in January. It was a couple of hours that she won't soon forget.

"It was very intense, non-stop talking, everybody working hard," Mosqueda-Lewis said. "Coach Geno getting on them after everything, passes are crisp, everything has got to be perfect in practice and I think that is a great thing, perfection and that is what Coach Geno expects from all his players. One of the best coach is Coach Auriemma because he pushes his players to be the best they can be and tries to make them be even more if they can be and that is exactly what I want. I need somebody to push me to that limit."

Mosqueda-Lewis has not seen Mater Dei's schedule but she said it was not likely they would come East again this year.

Now to the 15-year-old Mosqueda-Lewis acting like a 15-year-old. I could sense her excitement in getting Phelps' autograph coming through the phone line.

"I got his autograph when he was walking out of the dining area. I know there are a ton of great athletes out there, getting Michael Phelps' autograph, a man who got seven gold medals in one Olympics was incredible. I told everybody as soon as I got it."

She was also emotional about having three of the 12 members of the U-16 team being members of the Mater Dei squad.

"It is incredible, it makes it more comfortable to be able to interact on this team and have people here that I know are always going to be on my side and be with me," Mosqueda-Lewis said. "It is a great thing to have both of my teammates from high school here with me. At first we were all nervous, scared and we said if one of is makes it, two of us make it, if somebody doesn't we are still going to be together but when all three of us heard our names called, we weren't sitting near each other but when we all came together, we all started crying and all happy that we got to do this together."

I spoke with Betnijah Laney of Smyrna, Del. this afternoon. Laney, who also made the U-16 national team, was in the stands, sitting a couple of rows behind the UConn bench when the Huskies beat Seton Hall on Feb. 28 at the XL Center. It was the final regular season home game for Renee Montgomery, Tahirah Williams and Cassie Kerns.

"What I remember the most is that Renee Montgomery struggled (with her shot) in the first half but she stayed with it. I was impressed with that."

Like Mosqueda-Lewis, Laney said she would like to wait until a senior to make a commitment.

"I'd like to see what happens, see who the teams I am interested in recruit," Laney said. "If you commit (early) things can change so I think I will wait until I'm a senior."

Laney has been a regular at Rutgers home games "since she was a baby" since her mother was a member of Rutgers coach C. Vivian Stringer's team when Stringer coached at Cheney State in the early 1980s. Since entering high school, she has not been able to attend quite as many games. Her connections with Rutgers go a little deeper as her cousin Khadijah Rushdan was the Scarlet Knights' starting point guard.

Laney resisted the lure of basketball until she was 10, opting for cheerleading and dance. She said she came to her senses and has never looked back. Last season she broke the Delaware single-game scoring record with 52 points. Ironically, the owner of the record was Elena Delle Donne who announced today that she would be returning to the basketball court to play for Delaware.

"I think that it should be a really good season for them with her playing there," Laney said.

That is the extent of my Elena Delle Donne coverage in this blog. I am sure another paper in the state will provide more than enough coverage to make up for my lack of interest in this matter. I would rather spend my time focusing on players who will be or could be actually suiting up for UConn than those who will play their basketball for Delaware.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home