Blogs > Elm City to Eagleville

A blog on UConn women's basketball.

Tuesday, January 04, 2011

UConn players ready to move forward

The end of the NCAA Division I basketball record 90-game winning streak that irked the members of the UConn women's basketball team as much as it was the meek way the Huskies played in Thursday's loss to Stanford.

After three days of practice, the Huskies get to start a new winning streak when Villanova comes to Gampel Pavilion tomorrow for a 7:30 p.m. game. The return to the court couldn't come soon enough for the UConn players eager to wipe the bad taste following a rare defeat out of their mouths.

"Everybody has just seen us lose," senior guard Lorin Dixon said. "Everybody thinks 'we know how to defeat UConn now.' We want to go out there and show them that they are wrong and we just had an off night. We are anxious to play somebody and show Villanova, Notre Dame, show the world that we had one (bad) night. It doesn't define us because we lost.

"I think it was more of being angry because we didn't come out and play the way we know how to play. We didn't execute, it was a bad game for a lot of people. It was more of knowing that should never have happened, we should have beaten Stanford. It wasn't feeling sorry for ourselves. It was that we had to come back and change some things. We have to come back and get it right next time."

"Championships aren't lost in December. That is a loss but we have other teams we have to worry about - North Carolina, Duke, Georgetown all these great teams that are in our conference. We are looking for the next game. We had a bad game but we are still who we are, that game did not define us. We are going to come out and keep playing the way we know how to play and showing everybody that it was just one game."

The loss seemed to weigh on senior Maya Moore and junior Tiffany Hayes the most. It was just the third time Moore lost in 129 games at UConn while Hayes had been on the winning side for 90 straight games before Thursday's loss.

"We are going to have to show starting in practice that we have to bounce back. I did not play like I know I can," said Moore, who had 14 points on 5 of 15 shooting. "I did not lead my teammates at all. It was one of those games when things weren't going our way and I didn't fight back hard enough to make sure they were going our way. The only thing I can do now is make sure that never happens again and I know now it is like a wake-up call.

"It matters how we respond from this. In my mind, it wasn't about the streak. It wasn't about 'you are going to win every game that you play whether it is tomorrow or the game a few days ago. We want to play well and we want to win. I feel like our focus should always be on that. It is really our choice if this is going to help us or hurt us. Are we going to continue to not compete as we did in that game or are we going to make some changes and become better from it. That is to be determined."

Hayes not only finished with a season low three points but matched her lowest total of the season with one rebound and two assists before being benched for the final 6:20.

Hayes did not blame her coaches for sitting her down the stretch even if UConn was forced to come back without the services of its second-leading scorer.

"It was very difficult because I wasn't doing anything to help the team on the court," Hayes said. "Then with me sitting, I didn't have a chance to (contribute). He did the right thing because me sitting there, I couldn't get anything done.

"I didn't think I was off but coming into the second half when none of us were hitting, I was thinking 'I just have to rebound now.' That wasn't even happening. Stanford was a really aggressive team and we couldn't get in on the rebounds even when we were shooting shots."

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home