Blogs > Elm City to Eagleville

A blog on UConn women's basketball.

Saturday, April 02, 2011

Proud moments for Dixon/Moore's former coaches

Angie Hembree headed into the Wade Trophy award presentation knowing her former player Maya Moore was going to win the award for an unprecedented third time and promised herself she would not get overly emotional.

Yet, watching Moore accept the honor with her usual amount of dignity, grace and humility, Hembree got a little misty eyed.

"I had the honor of coaching her freshman and sophomore (at Collins Hill High School)before I left for the college ranks," Hembree said. "I told myself I wasn't going to get emotional but I did. She is anybody coach's dream, absolutely if you pick all the qualities of a person and an athlete that who it is is. UConn is lucky to have her because she is a dream to coach and a dream to be around, she is the epitome of what you'd want your children to be. She has done this game well so far and she is going to continue to do that. She is going to continue to make huge waves in the women's basketball arena and I think probably the broadcasting arena and probably whatever she decides she wants to do."

"You guys can't give her enough accolades in my opinion. Her ability to be humble and real and that goes a long way to her mom and what her mom has done. Her ability to see the bigger picture, her spirituality, how important that is to her. Her ability to live in the moment, love where she is and what she is doing."

Also in attendance was Lorin Dixon's high school coach Lorin Dixon. Bob Mackey, who has enjoyed remarkable success at Christ the King, has seen the Lorin Dixon he remembers from her junior and senior seasons at Christ the King.

"I have seen in the last five games the glimpses of Lorin Dixon that I was used to seeing in high school," Mackey said. "It has been tremendous to see. It is just wonderful, she has been filling the void and doing just a great job. She is so talented and it is really wonderful."

Hembree is currently the head coach at Norcross High where she coaches talented sophomore Diamond DeShields, who is very much on UConn's recruiting radar. Hembree doesn't anticipate DeShields to make a college decision any time in the near future.

"I think she is going to take her time, I don't think you'll hear anything this summer," Hembree said. I don't know for sure but my guess is it won't be this summer. She's a great kid, she has a great sense of humor. She plays above the rim, I swear."

Hembree's Norcross team also played against UConn incoming freshman Brianna Banks and Hembree had words of praise for the 5-foot-9 Banks.

"(She) has a great first step, is lefthanded knows how to create off the dribble. She is going to be a big asset. I love her game. She flew under the radar and I don't know why, somebody wasn't watching the radar. She can go, she can scoot."

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home