Blogs > Elm City to Eagleville

A blog on UConn women's basketball.

Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Maya Moore reacts to her first WNBA game

Thanks to the Minnesota Lynx sending this over, here is Maya Moore's reaction to her first WNBA game. Moore started and had four points, five rebounds and three assists as the Lynx defeated the Indiana Fever 71-66 in an exhibition game on Tuesday.

"Not exactly what I wanted, but I thought we made a little bit of progress from some of the initial jitters, working into the flow of this level, just working those things out. I don't like to necessarily base my performance on points, because like Coach was saying, there's a lot of ways you can impact the game, so that's what I try to do. I try to get some assists, get some rebounds, force some tough shots. Overall, I thought I filled the stat sheet a little bit in certain areas, but I'm definitely not satisfied with where I am. I want to keep getting better and keep getting more consistent and staying out of foul trouble too."

On her impact on the court:
"I'm just myself. Whenever I'm on the court, on the bench, I'm always trying to provide energy, trying to cheer my team on, try to communicate and be aggressive and set the tone. That's something I'll always try to bring and I feel that it brings our team a competitive edge."


On the last time she scored four points in a game:
"I don't remember. I never plan on having four points, so I don't know necessarily what I'm going to do anything differently besides just continue to listen to the coaching staff and keep being aggressive and taking my time as well. As long as I'm getting good looks… sometimes the ball doesn't go in."

For the record, the last time she had four points in a game came in a Jan. 13, 2010 game against Marquette.

Moore was one of three former Huskies to play in the game as Charde Houston had nine points, two rebounds and two assists for Minnesota while Jessica Moore finished with two points and one rebound for Indiana.


GENO REACTS TO APR SCORES
The UConn women's basketball program achieved a perfect score of 1,000 in the Academic Progress Rate and had an impressive four-year average of 990.

Here is Geno Auriemma's reaction to the numbers.

"I am extremely proud of my team’s showing in the NCAA’s latest Academic Progress Report. Our coaching staff makes it clear to every incoming freshman that they have a responsibility, not only to strive to win championships, but also to strive for excellence in the classroom. We will continue to stress academics as the top priority with the goal of every student-athlete earning her degree from the University of Connecticut."

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home