Blogs > Elm City to Eagleville

A blog on UConn women's basketball.

Saturday, March 24, 2012

Another huge game for Breanna Stewart

Breanna Stewart will have a chance at the one prize that has eluded her during the UConn commit's brilliant high school career.

The 6-foot-4 forward had 42 points (a New York Federation Class AA tournament record), 23 rebounds and 6 blocked shots as her Cicero-North Syracuse team beat Nazareth 80-55 in the Class AA semifinals on Saturday.

Now Stewart and the Northstars face Murry Bergtraum, the team which eliminated Cicero-North Syracuse in the Federation semifinals last season, in Sunday's championship game.

As we speak UConn signee Moriah Jefferson and the THESA Riders are going after a sixth straight National Christian HomeSchool Basketball title.

I asked UConn freshman Kaleena Mosqueda-Lewis about the impressive feat of being a part of so many championship teams.

"She is a great player and to be able to experience that, not a lot of high school players get a chance to play (for titles) that many times, she is really lucky," Mosqueda-Lewis said. "She is a fun girl. I am friends with her, I have known her for a couple of years now. She has a great personality and does have a lot of energy, is positive and people want to be around her. To have her in Connecticut soon is going to be great."

GENO MADE QUITE THE IMPRESSION
Plenty of women's college coaches have some pretty good Geno Auriemma stories to tell but it was hard  to top what Penn State coach Coquese Washington had to saw when she was asked about the Huskies' Hall of Fame coach.

"My biggest memory of Geno while I was at Notre Dame was when I was pregnant with my son at the time and we come out before the game and he walks up to me and rubs my belly with his hand and I'm like, 'Geno, what are you doing?'" Washington said. "He's like 'I've got to rub the baby, I've got to touch the baby.'  That is one of my favorite memories of Geno.  He's just a really good guy and fun to coach against.  He certainly has done so many wonderful things for our game with what he has done with Connecticut."

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home