Blogs > Elm City to Eagleville

A blog on UConn women's basketball.

Tuesday, August 14, 2012

UConn AD reacts to naming of Big East commissioner

UConn director of athletics Warde Manuel, who was a member of the committee which ultimately selected Middletown native and television executive Mike Aresco as the new Big East commissioner.

The choice of Aresco was met with Manuel's stamp of approval.

 "I like it, I like it a lot," Manuel said on Tuesday during UConn football practice. "I think it is an excellent choice. I was a part of the committee and part of the process and I am excited and thrilled for the Big East and looking forward to getitng to know Mike a little better.

"I knew of him, I knew of him and his reputation and from the start I thought he would be an excellent person for us to talk to. I think it is an excellent choice for us and I am excited about what he is going to bring to us. He brings a great dimension. His experience in terms of television, the media but his extensive knowledge to collegiate athletics are deep and I think will be very helpful to UConn and other institutions within the league, I think he bring a lot to the table and from my perspective it is a home run."

Manuel also talked about his experience watching six former UConn players and current UConn coach Geno Auriemma lead the U.S. women's basketball team to the Olympic gold medal for the fifth straight time.

"London was awesome, it was the first time I had the chance to meet the ladies, to see what they did and they way they carried themselves the way that they won on the international stage was impressive," Manuel said. "I saw us play Australia (in the semifinals) and championship game against France and it was just wonderful to watch. I am glad that six of our former (players) were on the team and to see Geno work his brilliance on the international stage was really phenomenal."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home