Blogs > Elm City to Eagleville

A blog on UConn women's basketball.

Saturday, July 27, 2013

Candace Parker weighs in on UConn/Tennessee rivalry

With the recent reports that the Tennessee women's basketball program is open to playing UConn in the regular season, something that hasn't happened since 2007, made all the UConn and Tennessee grads playing in the WNBA All-Star contest fair game to weigh on what it would mean if the series were to be resumed.

Former Tennessee All-American Candace Parker addressed the issue in her post-game press conference.

"When you think of the NBA you think of the Boston Celtics and Los Angeles Lakers and the same thing with football, same thing with hockey, you have rooted rivalries," Parker said. "There are people who I haven't even met who are Connecticut fans that just despise me just because I wore Orange and I happened to be in that Blue Country right now. Same thing, I had Tennessee fans coming up to me and telling me how much they despise UConn and they never even met UConn players. I think it is important just from that sense that you have that rivalry, you have that identity, you have that separation and there is more talk about it and it helps women's basketball."



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home