Blogs > Elm City to Eagleville

A blog on UConn women's basketball.

Monday, July 15, 2013

Hartley, Mosqueda-Lewis lead U.S. to gold medal


UConn's Bria Hartley had 17 points and Kaleena Mosqueda-Lewis added 15 as the United States defeated host Russia 90-71 in the World University Games championship game.

Hartley had 11 points, including a pair of key 3-pointers in the third quarter, to allow the U.S. to go into the fourth quarter with a 68-47 lead.

Hartley was 6 of 7 from the field and also had a pair of steals while Mosqueda-Lewis added four rebounds and two assists as the U.S. won the World University Games for the third straight time.

When Tatiana Grigoryeva scored six points to pull within eight points midway through the third quarter, Hartley scored eight points in a span of 1:47 as the U.S. ended the quarter on a run of 18-5. Russia could get no closer than 15 points in the fourth quarter.

“Ariel (Massengale) did a good job of pushing the ball, and she was able to find me on those two threes,” Hartley said. “A lot of the stuff we did sparked off our defense. We were able to get some stops and get some rebounds and push it.”

Central Michigan's Crystal Bradford had 16 points and two steals, LSU's Theresa Plaisance had nine points and six rebounds, Baylor's Odyssey Sims finished with 10 points while Nebraska's Jordan Hooper had nine points, nine rebounds and two assists.

Hartley led the U.S. with 81 points in six games (all victories) followed by Mosqueda-Lewis (78), Sims (76) and Bradford (65). Mosqueda-Lewis also led the U.S. with 41 rebounds.

"I can't really describe the feeling," Mosqueda-Lewis said. "Being able to win with this group of girls, and to come together so quickly and play as well as we did, it's pretty awesome for us.

"I definitely think I've been able to grow this summer. I had to play the four (power forward), be in there with the big guys, and it definitely got me to widen my game. I was able to go inside-out. That definitely helped a lot."

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous feste said...

Great to see Hartley playing so well. Did I understand rightly that Sims was the US most outstanding? OK, I guess. I do think that the designation of MOP in a team sport strikes me as perverse, so I don't exactly why that bothers me.

8:50 PM 
Blogger Jim Fuller said...

I don't have a problem with Sims being named the MOP for the U.S. She led all tournament players in assists, led the U.S. in steals and finished within five total points of the U.S. scoring lead. Today was not her best offensive game but she was tremendous in the semifinal which was the game of the tournament and I would be OK with any of the three (Sims, Hartley or Mosqueda-Lewis) would be a solid choice for MOP.

9:59 PM 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home