Blogs > Elm City to Eagleville

A blog on UConn women's basketball.

Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Positives abound for UConn after UCF win

It would be hard for thing to have gone much better for the top-ranked UConn women's basketball team on Wednesday night.

Breanna Stewart became the fifth sophomore to score 1,000 points before the end of her sophomore season when she grabbed a Bria Hartley miss and banked home a shot in the lane 42 seconds into the 83-35 win. Before the first media timeout Hartley joined Maya Moore as the only UConn players with at least 1,500 points, 500 rebounds, 500 assists and 200 steals.

Perhaps even more soothing to the Huskies' collective psyche was Saniya Chong rebounding from failing to score in the last 2 1/2 game and registering career highs with 17 points and 10 rebounds and Brianna Banks playing 25 minutes, the most since a Dec. 5 game against UC Davis.

"If I had gotten my 1,000th point and we had lost I don't think I would care that I got my 1,000th point but the fact that we played well tonight, we got a  lot accomplished and then (attaining) the individual accomplishments that is just great."

Stewart seemed to take particular joy in getting her 1,000th point on an offensive rebound since she has been challenged by UConn coach Geno Auriemma to become a better offensive rebounder.

"It is fitting," Stewart said. "He will probably get a kick out of that but I am just trying to be active rebounding wise."

After the game Auriemma said that Kaleena Mosqueda-Lewis will not make the trip to Texas when the Huskies play at Houston and SMU as she continues to rest as she recovers from a bout with mononucleosis.

That will mean that Chong figures to get her third straight start.

"I think it should really help me after playing well tonight," Chong said. "I got back to playing like I did when I was in high school."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home