Blogs > Elm City to Eagleville

A blog on UConn women's basketball.

Monday, March 31, 2014

Last season's UConn/Texas A&M viewed as ancient history

It was less than a year and a half ago when Elite Eight opponents UConn and Texas A&M squared off with the Huskies running away with an 81-50 victory on A&M's home court.

However, both sides downplayed the importance that result has on tonight's game.

"When we played them there last year, it was really early in the season," UConn coach Geno Auriemma said.. "They were playing a lot of young guys and a lot of those young guys have grown up a little bit. They are a year older this year. You can see the maturity in their team. I’ve always admired Courtney Walker. I think she’s one of the best guards in America today that a lot of people don’t even talk about. I liked her in high school and I like her even more now. They had Kelsey Bone and I think that their offense was maybe more geared to players in the post and I think their guards are more in charge now and I think it’s made them an even more dangerous team. The fact that we won by a lot down there last year, I don’t know that it has any significance this time of year. I think they are playing really, really well. Really good players have short memories. I bet if you ask them what the score was last year, they probably don’t even remember."

As for the details in that game, Stefanie Dolson led the Huskies with 24 points and Kaleena Mosqueda-Lewis had 16 while Courtney Walker led the Aggies with 20.

"The last two times I’ve played Geno. I got beat by 30 and 31," Texas A&M coach Gary Blair said. "We’ve got a new year. Remember Baylor beat me three times in a row – we won the fourth time (in 2011). If I’m not mistaken, everyone forgets this story – Connecticut beat Notre Dame that same year three times and won the last one. All they want to do is talk about our Baylor game. It’s hard to beat somebody the fourth time. I’m more interested in the third time. But what we are going to try to do is play within ourselves and expand our limits. Think out of the box. Think what we can be. It’s just like growing up on the driveway as a little kid. 10, 9, 8, 7 and making that shot. You’ve got visualize it. You’ve got to believe in yourself for what you’ve’ done to get yourself here. If you sit back and say, ‘oh, there’s Geno. There’s Breanna (Stewart). There’s Stefanie (Dolson)’ you’ll get your butt handed to you. You’ve got to go out there and first believe in yourself and I’ve got to instill that into my team."



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home