Blogs > Elm City to Eagleville

A blog on UConn women's basketball.

Sunday, March 02, 2014

UConn's Mosqueda-Lewis back into the fray

I have to admit that I didn't think UConn coach Geno Auriemma was going to start Kaleena Mosqueda-Lewis after she missed the last four games due to a bout with mononucleosis and I certainly did not expect her to play 27 of the first 30 minutes in Saturday's win over Rutgers.

Apparently, I was not alone.

"Somebody, I think it is Warde (Manuel, UConn's athletic director), said 'what do you think you are going to get out of Kaleena today?' I said 'I am going to start her and hope to play her 40 minutes.' He said 'no way, the first time she doesn't make it up the court you are going to take her out.' I said 'no I'm not. I am going to play her for as long as I can to get her back into game mode. It is not unlike golf, you can practice all you want but you need to play in tournaments, you need to play basketball to be in basketball shape, you need to play in games. She looked good at times and looked not so good at times but Monday she will play a lot better that she did today."

Mosqueda-Lewis finished with seven points (on 3 of 10 shooting), three rebounds and three assists.

"It felt really good, no side effects, I am not tired and I am good," Mosqueda-Lewis said.

"It was really important for me to get going and get into a game setting. I was just trying to get my shots no matter where they were, get the ball to my teammates when they were open."

Mosqueda-Lewis received a huge hand from the sellout crowd when she was introduced as a starter.

"It was special, we have the best fans in the country," Mosqueda-Lewis said. "A lot of people have been sending letters and sending emails telling me to get better and get well soon."

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home