Blogs > Elm City to Eagleville

A blog on UConn women's basketball.

Sunday, June 01, 2014

Cash adjusting to a new role in Atlanta

At each of her previous three WNBA stops former UConn star Swin Cash knew that she would be in the starting lineup and playing somewhere around 30 minutes per game. However, her first season in Atlanta has been a much different scenario for the second overall pick in the 2002 draft.

Cash has started just once in the first five games and three times has not cracked the double-digit mark in minutes played.

"You are talking about 13 years of starting, (playing) 30 minutes a game and contributing but I am a very faith-based person so I know I am in a situation and I have to make the best out of it and control what you can control," Cash said before Sunday's game against Connecticut. "I think at my age that is the one advantage I have because as a younger player it could be a lot more frustrating but right now it is just controlling what I can control and wait to see what happens. We are still early, the coaches are learning the players, the players are learning the coaches and the system, I just don't know.

"Obviously I have won titles and I understand how it works and that is definitely an advantage to have but it is going to take all 12 people on the team. The one thing I can say is that this team is very hungry, they have been there, they are a core (group) of girls who are ready to raise that trophy and you feel it in practice and I want to help in any way that I can. I don't know if I can complete all of it but I think the coaching staff, he has won championships so his experience and with his team, being hungry. We have the right recipe but we have to kind of stir it."

Cash was bracing herself for the possibility of not playing at all if her rights were retained by Chicago so when she was traded to Atlanta, she was ready to contribute in any way possible.

"There were a lot of things that were going on behind the scenes so I am just happy to be playing," Cash said. "There was a time period when I didn't know if I would play this season because Chicago had my rights per the CBA and I was really fortunate that Atlanta wanted to bring me in, they were able to cut a deal and I am happy to be here."

One part of her basketball career she bid adieu to was USA Basketball. After being a member of the 2004 and 2012 gold-medal winning U.S. Olympic teams, Cash made the decision to retire from the national team after the '12 Olympics.

"I am at the point right now where I really want to focus on television and doing other things," Cash said. "That is a heavy commitment with USA Basketball. I had a great conversation with Carol (Callan, USA Basketball's Women's National Team Director), she was amazing. I hope to still be around to see Sue (Bird), Dee (Diana Taurasi), Catch (Tamika Catchings) get one more but at the end of day, I told Carol I hope to be there covering you guys on the TV side of it but at some point when you make this transition, it is transition I want to make."

GRIFFIN OUT OF ACTION
Connecticut Sun coach Anne Donovan said that forward Kelsey Griffin won't play today and she is understand when she will be back

"We are not really sure what she has. We are checking for a gall bladder, stomach issue," Donovan said.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home